dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

A Bit More Nicki French

Tomorrow, the single for the new mixes of "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" by Diva DJs Vs. Nicki French is out in the UK on Energise Records. You haven't ordered a copy yet? Well, you can do so right here. Over the past two weeks, we've run our interview done with Nicki to commemorate the release of the new single, and the response on her offical site's forum has been pretty groovy! She performed this past Monday at London's G-A-Y nightclub, and so here are a few more anecdotes she shared, particularly on her gay fans.

On Gay Prides: "I actually did do some in the States back in 1995. They got me onto one in Chicago. It was very weird because there was just this tiny little box for a stage. I mean, I couldn't move anywhere! But, fabulous crowd! Normally, with the Prides particularly, there are usually other people on. I love to watch other artists perform. I tend to try to not take a show in the evening if I'm doing a Pride, because you just like to mill around and soak up the atmosphere. I do prefer to sit around and chat with people."

On Having A Loyal Gay Following: "I think specifically, more and more, the gay clubs have always appreciated live singing. Big-name artists have come from the gay scene simply because they learn how to entertain. To start with, the gay audiences can be the hardest in the world to please. But if you work hard and you have a talent, I think they are so appreciative. They love a belter. They love a diva. They're always going for the female vocalists. I do think its because they appreciate the proper singers."

On American Idol Contestant Mandisa Declining To Perform At A Gay Event Because Of Her Religious Beliefs: "I suppose if you have such a strong, strong belief, in a way, you've got to admire her for standing up for those beliefs. However, you go onto a show like that, you've got to put everything out of the window. You've got to put it all to one side to move on. That's what the show’s all about! I agree with something Simon Cowell said about Chris Daughtry, the heavy rock singer –- this is American Idol, if you wanna sing like that, you don’t do American Idol. I think that’s so true. It’s a very niche entertainment show. With things like [Mandisa's] strong beliefs like that, you know you're going to be asked to do performances in places that you wouldn't normally, so you have to put that sort of feeling to one side if you want to progress."

Well said! And with that, we'll leave you with Nicki's awesome performance of "Don't Play That Song Again" at Eurovision in 2000. Listen to her belt out that last part!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger MoogaBoo said…

    Gotta love Nicki. She just seems so down-to-earth and real.

     
  • At 5:19 PM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    I know. I already confessed in the forum on her site that I have a crush on her now :P

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    good on Nicki! She does seem like a great woman. And I like her comments about Mandias, I felt the same way.

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger Martin M - Scotland UK said…

    What a lovely girl she is and what a great voice she has.Total Eclipes of the Heart 2006 is fantastic ! Lets hope this song puts Nicki back in the charts again where she belongs.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home