dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Gnarls Barkley Empire Is Over...For Now

In a move that should make Sandi Thom fan Paul very happy, the rockin' minx has ended the 9-week stint at #1 by Gnarls Barkley on the UK singles chart with her novel tune, "If I Was A Punk Rocker." Also, this brings to mind Mr. Brady's comments from two weeks ago: "If Sandi Thom goes to #1, I'm going to release my own single called 'If I Was a Public Schoolboy with a Skewed Concept of the Past.'" What's the release date on that one?

Anyway, Keane score their biggest hit since debut single "Somwhere Only We Know" went to #3 almost two and a half years ago. "Is It Any Wonder" reaches the same position this week, and ushers in Keane's surprising use of the guitar for the first time. Pink is playing it safe with a Max Martin/Dr. Luke number for her new single (at #5). Somehow it just seems odd hearing her belt out lines like "The last kiss / I'll cherish / until we meet again." Meanwhile, Nelly Furtado's single "Meaneater" is doing amazingly well, debuting in the Top 10 off downloads alone, a week before it's actual physical single release.

And finally, over on the album chart, the Pet Shop Boys new one, Fundamental, suffers the same 17-position drop their single "I'm With Stupid" did two weeks ago, as it falls from #5 to #22.


The UK Top 10:

1. "I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker" - Sandi Thom *1 week*
2. "Crazy" - Gnarls Barkley
3. "Is It Any Wonder" - Keane
4. "From Paris To Berlin" - Infernal
5. "Who Knew" - Pink
6. "All Over Again" - Ronan Keating & Kate Rusby *new*
7. "Faster Kill Pussycat" - Oakenfold feat. Brittany Murphy
8. "Maneater" - Nelly Furtado *new*
9. "Control Myself" - LL Cool J feat. Jennifer Lopez
10. "Country Girl" - Primal Scream

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger MrBrady said…

    Well in actual fact I put my single out last year, but it flopped! Shock. Now I'm just waiting on my "people" putting the buzz on the web about my webcam gigs and how I'm a poor, downtrodden pop starlet who just can't get a break in the business! After that, easy money!

    The custard pie I have acquired to throw in Thom's face is quitely festering in my pantry. Once it's suitably green with mould, it's going straight in her flower-bedecked hair.

     
  • At 4:18 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    I am actually getting interested in the Nelly Furtado record which is gladly NOT a Miami hophop album. I think it's more pop than not. Still not sure about either single though.

    And there is no guitar on the Keane record at all, though I don't see why they should be all bold about that since it sounds like it.

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    PS Isn't Lily Allen (is that it?) really the new Sandi Thom anyway?

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    wait, you mean that whammy-ish guitar effect throughout IIAW? is a keyboard?

     
  • At 12:26 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    there are NO guitars on the keane single - i saw them perform it on totp last night and finally "got" it once the vomit inducing video was out of my head. Go Sandi i say - i will protect her from the pies...

    i quite like the nelly single - although it reminds me of a cross between Toxic and I Eat Cannibals which isn't a bad thing.

    Also pleased Nerina Pallot only dropped one place this week...

    must check where upper room cd went in album charts cos it weren't top 40 :(

    Lily Allen is the new Sandi although she sounds more like the new Lolly...

     
  • At 10:30 AM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    Lily Allen = hatchet-faced tramp + one hit geezer bird

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    don't confuse Lily Allen with that awful Sandi Thom! ;)

    Upper Room was #50 I think. All bands that get my stamp of approval are doomed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home