dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Don't Stick A Fork In Gwen Just Yet

Well, it's a new year, a new month and a new lease on Gwen Stefani's Sweet Escape, as the title song climbs 13 spots to #6 this week on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart. Rolling Stone reports in their new issue (in a sidebar hilariously titled "Out Like A L.A.M.B.") that Gwen's second solo album has only moved 737,959 copies after six weeks that fell over the usually lucrative Christmas shopping season. Nevertheless, Gwen's new single -- which is surprisingly poppy given that Akon produced it -- is this week's Sales Gainer on the chart.

But Akon missed out on having three songs in the Top 10 this week as "Smack That" finally falls out. Daughtry moves a bit closer to the top with "It's Not Over," which is becoming quite a grower on D'luv's playlist, and "What Goes Around...Comes Around" is at #10, giving Justin Timberlake his third Top 10 single off FutureSex/LoveSounds. Outside the upper tier, Hellogoodbye, like Gwen Stefani, jumps 13 positions to #19 with "Here (In My Arms)," and snoozey Robin Thicke climbs 20 notches to #37 with "Lost Without U."

But after nine weeks at #1, can we just lose "Irreplaceable" already?

The U.S. Top 10:

1. "Irreplaceable" - Beyoncé *9 weeks*
2. "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race" - Fall Out Boy
3. "Say It Right" - Nelly Furtado
4. "It's Not Over" - Daughtry
5. "I Wanna Love You" - Akon feat. Snoop Dogg
6. "The Sweet Escape" - Gwen Stefani feat. Akon *sales gainer*
7. "Runaway Love" - Ludacris feat. Mary J. Blige *airplay gainer*
8. "We Fly High" - Jim Jones
9. "Fergalicious" - Fergie
10. "What Goes Around...Comes Around" - Justin Timberlake

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 4:58 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    its amazing what good press will instinct-ively do for a single :)

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Anonymous The Secret Value of Orangutan said…

    damn, Daughtry's lookin' mighty fine right dere!

     
  • At 9:59 PM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    I'm still thrilled that "Here (In Your Arms)" is doing so well (#19--I really can't believe it; I know it's not like they're breaking records, but I didn't think that song had a chance), but I feel like it (and the Robin Thicke song) have been around forever. That's what I thought about the All-American Rejects' "Dirty Little Secret," too, though, and it ended up doing pretty well. Still, as much as I think "Irreplaceable" is a good song, I'd rather have old songs that haven't been played to death rising up the charts than see that sitting up at the top for much longer (well, maybe not that Thicke song--I've never made it through the whole thing, so maybe it's all right, but it's never caught my interest).

    Completely unrelated: I swear I remember hearing some of the "Comes Around" interlude played on the radio as part of Justin's single, but the radio edit I have of the song doesn't have any of the interlude (which is a shame, but I guess it's a difficult song to cut down).

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    Poster Girl, here in L.A., the Top 40 station (KIIS-FM) plays the entire "What Goes Around...Comes Around," interlude and all... which is great, because I think "Comes Around" really makes that song. I love the I thought I told ya, hey-ay, hey-ay!

    I've been meaning to tell you -- there's an old Hellogoodbye EP on iTunes from '04, with songs that are so much better than the ones on their new album... check out "Bonnie Taylor Shakedown 04"! So good...

    Mr. Brady, Shanaynay and I were going into the G-A-Y club in London back in 2003, and a little-known band called All American Rejects had just performed and were walking out the back of the club while we were in the line queue... we watched their piano being hoisted out the back entrance on a pulley system.

    Orangutan, I never got the appeal of Chris Daughtry, lookswise. I mean, he could probably hammer you into the wall, but....

    Paul, it's amazing, the will of instinct.

     
  • At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Kiss Kiss Bang Orangutan said…

    Admittedly Daughtry does sometimes look a little too SF Leatherman for my taste, he makes up for it when he wears that eyeliner that takes my back to my goth days. And those arms look mmmm mmmm good.

     
  • At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Leopold said…

    It won't truly have success, I consider this way.
    check | link | link

     

Post a Comment

<< Home