dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Darren Hayes' L.A. Show "The Best On The Tour"

Muchos gracias to Darren for posting this review on his MySpace blog!

Darren Hayes' sold-out show at The Roxy on the Sunset strip here in L.A. was last night. There were some truly (madly) crazy Darren fans there!

photo by J'ason D'luv, property of Chart Rigger

But even the most rabid Darren Hayes fan would likely be able to work a camera setting better than D'luv. (Though these turned out kinda cool.)

photo by J'ason D'luv, property of Chart Rigger

Anyway, the night started with the audience loudly chanting Hayes' name several times before he took to the stage. Here's what he wrote about it on his MySpace blog this morning:

"At first, the chanting of my name and the screaming I honestly thought must have been for something else. I did not expect such a vibe and it fueled a show that the band and crew were calling the best on the tour."

photo by J'ason D'luv, property of Chart Rigger

When he finally bounded out, he tore through a set that covered Savage Garden's output ("I Want You," "Carry On Dancing"), Spin ("Insatiable"), The Tension And The Spark ("Pop!ular," "Void," "Unloveable," "I Like The Way") and new songs from the upcoming album ("On The Verge Of Something Wonderful," "How To Build A Time Machine," "Who Would Have Thought," "Step Into The Light").

Highlights included the retooled version of "Unloveable" that sounded so much like Fergie's "Glamorous," you could swear he was about to break into "We're flying first class..." at any moment. Also, when he did the Savage Garden ballad "I Don't Know You Anymore," the crowd was almost drowning him out by singing along. He stopped at one point while everyone sang four of the lines themselves. He looked truly taken aback.

Darren's between-song banter was quite comical. He explained the reason that he hadn't played in America in seven years: "I got Kelly Clarksoned. I put out two albums that I really believed in which got buried by a big, bad record label."

He also said he'd spent some time finding himself. "I got married to my boyfriend. You can do that in England!" It drew an enormous cheer from the club -- just one of the many throughout the night.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At 8:30 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    yay glad you had a good time, he is the headliner at london pride next week so will be seeing him then. I believe my favourite Mr Curtis was also at this gig...

     
  • At 12:30 PM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    Thanks, Pablo. My only gripe was that he didn't so "So Beautiful" :-( It's my fave song by him (so far).

    Enjoy his London gig! He's a ball of energy live!

     
  • At 6:38 AM, Blogger Aaryn said…

    I was there! It was AWESOME!!!

    ME MYSELF and I fucking ROCKED!

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger lucas mirĂ© said…

    Color me JEALOUS, d'luv! Glad you had fun. I'm thinking the white jacket worked better in person??

     
  • At 11:16 PM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    Aaryn, well goddamn...wish I woulda known... I would have pinched your butt then skittered away.

    Lucas...yeah, it totally worked, and he never took it off the whole time. I think Aaryn can attest that D. Hayes must've downed a few cans of Jolt that evening, as he was a never-tiring ball of energy the whole two hours, bouncing all around...

     
  • At 12:36 AM, Blogger Aaryn said…

    im drinking BLUE Jolt right now!!!

    The jacket stayed on and he looked AMAZING in it!


    AWESOME CONCERT!!!!!! I still cant quit talking about it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home