dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Kanye West Gets Daft Punk'd, Crashes The Top 10

Last night while passing out on the couch around midnight, I had a Kanye West epiphany -- his new single, "Stronger," is completely super-rad!


Yes, two years ago I railed against "Gold Digger," but since then, Kanye did something more enlightening than finding God -- he found Daft Punk! He's about 19 years late to the Akira party, but did I mention Daft Punk? Major props for not just sampling "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger," but for completely reworking it with the French duo (who also appear in the video -- or at least their robot doppelgangers do).

And, hey -- there's Cassie in there, too! Remember her? The analogue-synth-y outro on the extended version available from iTunes sounds like some amazing, lost Pet Shop Boys B-side, circa 1987.

"Stronger" debuted on Billboard's Hot 100 chart last week at #47, and now flies up to #6 after being made available on iTunes.

Elsewhere, Pink's "Who Knew" jumps from #40 to #27, Sean Kingston's "Me Love" has the Hot Shot Debut at #28 and Justin Timberlake's "LoveStoned" edges closer to the Top 40. It's at #43 this week.

The U.S. Top 10:

1. "Beautiful Girls" - Sean Kingston *2 weeks*
2. "Big Girls Don't Cry" - Fergie
3. "Hey There Delilah" - Plain White T's
4. "The Way I Are" - Timbaland feat. Keri Hilson & D.O.E.
5. "Umbrella" - Rihanna feat. Jay-Z
6. "Stronger" - Kanye West *sales gainer*
7. "Bartender" - T-Pain feat. Akon
8. "A Bay Bay" - Hurricane Chris
9. "Make Me Better" - Fabolous feat. Ne-Yo
10. "Party Like A Rockstar" - Shop Boyz

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    This top 10 reminds me that Last.fm really needs to find some way to work out the collaborator thing--do I want a play of "The Way I Are" to be credited to Timbaland (with an album so full of collaborators, you could listen to the whole thing all the time and still never have Timbaland in your top artists), and so should I rename the track "The Way I Are (feat. Keri Hilson & D.O.E.}"? Or do I leave it as Timbaland feat. Keri Hilson & D.O.E., knowing full well that we'll also have people labeling it "Timbaland featuring Keri Hilson & D.O.E." and various other strange ways of spelling things.

    That robot voiced adjective-y sample in the Kanye song keeps getting stuck in my head, but I'm not sure if I should get the Kanye song or just go buy the Daft Punk original (never heard it--or, um, anything by them, I think) instead. Tempted to go with Kanye just so he can keep buying himself his amazing glasses...and I do really like that "N-n-now that that don't kill me/can only make me stronger" part (stuttering! There's not enough stuttering in music).

     
  • At 1:13 PM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    WHA-A-A-A-AAA-A-A---AAAAT-T!?!?!?!?!?!? (did you like the stutter?) Never heard Daft Punk?! I put a hyperlink to the "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" video in the post now. Go watch!

     
  • At 5:33 PM, Blogger Jump! said…

    Wow! like how many songs in the top 10 are actually just raps verses over top other hit songs? Puff Daddy sure was an innovator.

     
  • At 1:19 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    oh my god, why is that sean kingston song number one? Kanye West is a couple hundred sales behind Robyn to seize number one here on downloads alone. I haven't heard it yet. I'm not as cutting edge as i used to be. :P

     
  • At 11:19 AM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    I'm hoping Kanye tops the U.S. chart, and Robyn does the U.K. one. Then they can scissor each other 'cross the Atlantic.

    Jump!, Po Diddly's contributions to society in general, man...

     
  • At 4:24 AM, Anonymous Raymond said…

    Here, I don't really believe this will work.
    museums in Boston | Aruba map | Egyptian flag

     

Post a Comment

<< Home