dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Music Junkie Digest: I'd Rather Jack

50 Cent, whose Curtis will be released the same day as Kanye West's Graduation, has threatened to give up his career if Kanye outsells him.

Robyn, in turn, has threatened to write a song for Britney Spears if Kanye's "Stronger" beats "With Every Heartbeat" to #1 in the U.K. tomorrow. Well, okay, that's not quite the reason why, but she does manage to diss both Lily Allen and Kate Nash in this alleged quote. I knew I always there was a reason I loved that Swedish pixie stick.

****

Between all the fly, Robyn, fly-ing and all the leaking of Darren Hayes' new album, folks seem to have forgetten that Darren's single, "On The Verge Of Something Wonderful," came out this week. There's an exclusive EP available on Darren's official site that contains two demos ("Ocean" and "God Is In The Room") the singer wrote with Rick Nowels.

Darren noted on his MySpace blog that he's shooting the video for "Me, Myself And I" on Tuesday.

****

Meanwhile, could Pete Waterman ever forget The Reynolds Girls? He'd rather jack! Check out this clip about the chav duo from the BBC Three special, The Most Annoying Pop Songs...We Hate To Love.


The blonde one seems so proud to explain what "jacking" is, no?

****
The new issue of Entertainment Weekly pretty much trashes the "uninspired" High School Musical 2.
Says the mag:
I wanted to enjoy High School Musical 2 as much as I enjoyed High School Musical: in moderation, with a pleasant blush and a benevolent, the-kids-are-alright smile. Well, bummer for me... Here, the songs range from silly fun (the tiara'd Sharpay sings a splashy ditty called "Fabulous") to really just awful (there's a massive dance number on a baseball diamond that's so surreally amateurish, Will Ferrell may be behind it).

****
Factory Records founder Tony Wilson, who signed Joy Division, New Order and Happy Mondays, passed away yesterday at age 57.

The strange road of Wilson's life is depicted in the 2002 film 24 Hour Party People. He suffered a heart attack brought on by complications due to cancer.

NME is a virtual tribute to Wilson this weekend, with members of New Order and others who worked with him paying their respects.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    It's funny--after that plea for people to buy "With Every Heartbeat," it's "On The Verge Of Something Wonderful" that I ended up buying two of--not that I planned it, but I picked up the single from 7Digital (so it would count towards the UK chart), I found out about the extra tracks on his website and so bought the single/EP or whatever from there, too. Darn these bonus tracks...at least it's not as expensive as the one different bonus track each at three different retail stores and one for iTunes that everyone seems to want to do with their albums these days. It's almost like asking people to go illegally download them--give me one deluxe edition with all the bonus tracks and I'll buy it, but buying the same album four times?!

    And, though I didn't know of him, the news about Tony Wilson is sad.

     
  • At 8:47 PM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    Oh, and P.S., I cannot see pictures of Zac Efron without envisioning him as a doll now!

     
  • At 8:00 AM, Blogger Phil said…

    Bless the Reynolds Girls. They didn't have a clue did they? I love the fact SAW didn't bother taking them away from home for the vid but just took them around their home city with a dodgy VHS camcorder and told them to bop around a bit. And I always thought the blonde one picked her hair off the nearest shop dummy. It's lacquer-tastic.

    And bless Tony Wilson. He was a dichotomy of all that's good and bad about music moguls. He left an incredible legacy...

     
  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    I used to get a lot of stick over the reynolds girls at school. Damn those pioneering chav hussies!

    People do seem to have forgotten Darren. It seems his fan base went out and bought like crazy on the monday, and then no one else was particularly bothered :(

    There is so much pop righteousness around at the mo with all the mags claiming that they discovered Robyn first. Sigh. BFD. Though i am really thrilled an independent pop artist has done so well (next up Simon Curtis please), success has driven an even bigger wedge between me and Robyn. Now i not only don't get her but also I'm irritated immensely by her. I realise it's a deficiency in my character :P

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Anonymous I'd Rather Orangutan said…

    And couldn't they get even one of the Reynolds Girls for an interview? I remember a rumour that one of them died while giving birth (though I've no idea if that's true) but has the other one become a hermit or something?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home