dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sugababes Squash Shayne Ward And Show Girls Aloud How A Real Girl Group Charts

Whereas two-bit skank bandits Girls Aloud failed (again) to achieve a #1 single on the official U.K. chart earlier this month -- "Sexy! No No No," stalled at #5 -- Sugababes have landed "About You Now" [video] at the top based on download sales alone, a week before the physical CD single is in stores. It marks their sixth U.K. #1.

In fact, the only reason that cheap-ass five-piece slut troupe Girls Aloud slithered to the top in the spring with the godawful "Walk This Way" was because they duetted with the angelic 'babes.

But why even keep mentioning those silicone-addled mattress-testers, when poor Keisha Buchanan of Sugababes has revealed to the Mirror that she was suicidal when the threesome started out:
"I went through a really bad patch when I was around 17," she says, her voice cracking. "A lot of my friends were just incredibly mean to me and I was really depressed. I always invited my friends to the shows but they never came and they never invited me out. It was a difficult time. My parents would say I should go out on a Friday night but I didn't have anyone to go out with. I had everything I wanted but not happiness. I wanted to fall asleep and not wake up."
That's so sad. I'm pretty much blaming Girls Aloud. But, oh well, at least Keisha can smile knowing she and the other two broads stomped their stiletto heels on hot piece of Mancunian ass Shayne Ward this week, whose troubled double A-side "No U Hang Up/If That's OK With You" [video] settles for the #2 position.

Elsewhere -- like, in the nether regions of hell -- car insurance divas The Sheilas watch "(I'm So) Happy Happy (You're Mine)" make its grand chart debut at #89. Hopefully they took out a policy on that single.

The U.K. Top 10:

1. "About You Now" - Sugababes *1 week*
2. "No U Hang Up/If That's OK With You" - Shayne Ward *new*
3. "Ayo Technology" - 50 Cent feat. Justin Timberlake & Timbaland
4. "Beautiful Girls" - Sean Kingston
5. "Let Me Think About It" - Ida Corr vs. Fedde Le Grand
6. "Hey There Delilah" - Plain White T's
7. "Stronger" - Kanye West
8. "1973" - James Blunt
9. "She's So Lovely" - Scouting For Girls
10. "Shut Up And Drive" - Rihanna

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 2:39 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    oh how devastating for the sheilas. A song i wholly loathe and despise and just shows how fucking lazy pete waterman has gotten. Oh how ace for the sugababes. A song, that some people seem not to like but i think is wholly brilliant and joyous and am still not tired of. And shayne number 2? Hey thats one place higher than he ranked on my "famous men i'd like to boff" list :)

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    ps after further study of the charts, yay to RyanDan debuting top ten albums after a disappointing singles position last week. Oh and poor Annie Lennox. Oh and poor Jamelia's greatest hits ~ perhaps if they hadn#t sent it to every blogger who probably would have bought it it would have done better. Billiam disappear to nowhere, as suspected, as it was all people getting as part of an entrance to their nightclub shows...

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger Jump! said…

    I have loved the Sugababes in every incarnation and version 3.0 is no different. "About you now" is totally an ace track and doesn't retread earlier hits.

    I don't think Shayne is a disaster at #2. I guess we'll see what happens with album sales. The boy is totally shaggable though even if "no u hang up" sounds like a Victoria Beckham reject.

    The Sheilas on the other hand are a disaster. I like the song but looking at the current crop of actual hit songs I dont think "i'm so happy.." even cuts it as a novelty song. R.I.P. Sheilas!

    Congrats go to Feist though, "1,2,3 ,4" becomes a top 20 hit!!

     
  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    Well, to recycle something I posted in two other forums already now (which somehow seems appropriate for the subject of The Sheilas):

    For me the biggest disappointment was that, rather than come up with an original composition, Mike Stock ripped off Lucky Twice's "Lucky Lucky" -- a song which has been around for over a year. It really torpedoed the credibility of the single for me.

    Granted, something like "About You Now" by Sugababes sounds like Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone," but at least both songs were by Dr. Luke, the same producer... SAW used to have a knack for having their own sound, but from the Love This (Sindy, Suzann Rye, and all that crap) days on up, Mike has just copped other popular song's sounds.

    I really hope that Mike and Pete (and Matt?) will continue on, but only if they're going to brand their own sound, and not just bite the style of something already out their that was successful.

    You know a Timbaland song when you hear it, you know a Max Martin or Dr. Luke song when you hear it, so it'd be great for PWL to employ some young underling mixers, producers, engineers, as someone else here mentioned -- maybe in another thread -- to help out, and come up with something new.

    And for God's sake, the 80s are OVER and done -- as are the record label structures and marketing techniques and artists from that time -- so let Pete, etc. move on and come up with something new.

     
  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger mobius said…

    I beg to differ. The 80s are not over, just listen to the Sugababes. It sounds like Nena (remember her?) never went away.

    Yeah, the old Sheilas... That's probably another point. Despite the camp son, they're too old to appeal to today's kids. Oh well...

     
  • At 10:00 PM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    I'm pleased with those top two--I think I just had to start imagining "About You Now" coming on the radio while I was driving to "get it"--I know that doesn't make any sense, but all that means is that I love it now, even if it's not the sort of thing I get super-enthusiastic/worked up about. Not that that makes sense either. And if they release it here, I imagine I would get super-excited about it.

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Anonymous yatesspain.blogspot.com said…

    Goodness, there's so much effective information here!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home