dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Can't Get The Lukewarm Thoughts On Kylie Minogue's "2 Hearts" Out Of My Head

Maybe we've officially entered an era where "comeback singles" or first singles off an artist's new album don't exactly reach out and clutch your soul by the cajones anymore -- see Sugababes' "About You Now," Gwen Stefani's "Wind It Up," Matchbox Twenty's "How Far We've Come," Annie Lennox's "Dark Road," etc. I'm kinda hoping that, like "About You Now," Kylie Minogue's "2 Hearts" will prove to be a grower, because despite the glitterly-glam video, I'm just not feelin' it.

Am I the only one who was more dazzled by tracks leaked online earlier this year -- such as "Excuse My French" -- from KM? Who cares if she's back with Olivier, that was a jam! At least there was something very distinctly "Kylie" about it.

That said, I haven't been immediately smitten with a lead-off single from Kylie's albums in 10 years, since "Some Kind Of Bliss" off '97's Impossible Princess. "Spinning Around" is okay, but "Slow" was too gimmicky.

And I've never really warmed up to "Can't Get You Out Of My Head." At first, it was just too minmal. Then it became way too over-played. But look what happened worldwide with the success of that single.

Goes to show what I know.

* Mobius has the news on all the "2 Hearts" formats.
* XO's got a pic of Kylie staring at her Xbox.
* The Zapping's review.

New Towleroad column up now.



  • At 7:29 PM, Blogger El MarvelOso said…

    hmmm...Sounds like she's been listening to some Goldfrapp...

  • At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not feeling it either and I loved "Spinning Around", "Can't Get You Out of my Head" and "Slow".
    "Stars" would have been a better choice.

  • At 12:31 AM, Blogger Adem IAR said…

    I wasn't feeling it at first, but now I think it's a pretty strong lead single. It's sorta like she's been on the coke again whilst recording it...

  • At 2:47 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    i'm still not convinced it's huge comeback single material, but it's easier in england to get sucked into the hype surrounding it all because now she is everywhere. i absolutely agree about excuse my french. You should start a campaign!

  • At 5:09 AM, Blogger Robpop said…

    Your not alone with your sentiments J'ason.

    Its not even Goldfrapp territory. Its more Mish Mash, Kaspar, Malou and the mighty Miss Motif to me.

    And they were doing this thing about 4 years ago!

  • At 11:38 AM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    El Marv, yeah, I think that's the general concensus (God, did I spell that word right?), though to be fair, the track is two years old and by another band, and Kylie's version sounds very similar to the original.

    Anonymous, I'll have to dig out "Stars." I have a ton of those leaked tracks that I didn't pay much attention to, other than "Excuse My French." It was like a fire sale on unreleased Kylie this year, and it felt sorta like overkill.

    Adem, you may be right, because when I do heroin, I'm always reaching for my jewel-encrusted skull microphone, too.

    Paul, you don't have to explain it to us, doll. We were around to watch you all go bonkers for Crazy Frog.

    Rob, you'd best settle down, boy. Miss Motif has a bullwhip with your name on it.

  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    The five Kylie tracks that leaked sometime in June were an amazing mini-album unto themselves: Fall For You, In My Arms, Lose Control, Sensitized and Stars. I still play them... a lot!

    The first thing I thought when I saw the new video was, "And they called Madonna 'Old-frapp'?" It doesn't help matters that she looks like "From a Distance"-era Better Midler in the video. Eek.

  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger El MarvelOso said…

    Is "Stars" the Dubstar song?

  • At 9:11 PM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    Nope, not a cover of the Dubstar tune, but a pretty little slice of electropop all the same.

  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger Jebb said…

    Must disagree on "Dark Road." It had me from the first listen. Great video, too.

  • At 3:12 AM, Blogger Klickable said…

    I have just listened to the album. I find most of the songs dont lift me up and take me anywhere. Unsure if i will like this at all. I absolutely loved the leaked songs more with "Fall for you" being my fave. Ok perhaps a 100 more listens and it will grow on me.


Post a Comment

<< Home