dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Monday, October 29, 2007

My, Oh My: Aqua Announce They're Reuniting For 2008 Tour, Possible Greatest Hits

Life in plastic is fantastic! Danish pop act Aqua, who split up in 2001, confirmed last week they'd be reforming for a 2008 tour.

Thank God, too, because we need something to wash the bad taste of skank duo Samanda and their recent cover of Aqua's "Barbie Girl" out of our mouths.

"Barbie Girl" went on to be a massive worldwide hit in 1997, and catapulted their album Aquarium to sales of two million copies in the U.S. alone. "Lollipop (Candyman)" was the foursome's only other American Top 40 hit, while "Turn Back Time" got a fair amount of radio play due to its inclusion in the 1998 Gwyneth Paltrow film, Sliding Doors.

Universal only pressed about 10,000 copies of the original "Barbie Girl" single in the States, likely having low expectations for such a novelty tune. The song went on to peak at #7 on the Billboard Hot 100, and perhaps would have charted higher had it not already been deleted. As these were the days before massive file-sharing online, the scarcity of copies no doubt explains the rapid success of the Aquarium album here upon its release.

Anyway, according to Wikipedia, 4-Inch Subwoofer is possibly the name of their third album, which may or may not be a compilation with new tracks.

Here's the self-parodying video for Aqua's rad "Bumble Bees," off the band's underrated second album, Aquarius:

Female singer Lene Nystrøm put out a solo album in 2003, which I bought in the Canary Islands that fall. It kinda sucked, and I rolled it on eBay.


  • At 10:38 PM, Blogger Adem IAR said…

    I am more excited about this than I am the Spice Girls reunion. They better haul their arses down under, they were huge here.

    Cartoon Heroes FTW.

  • At 10:58 PM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    I remember that time we were in Lakewood at a dive called THE CAGE and they played Cartoon Heroes!

  • At 11:00 PM, Blogger El MarvelOso said…

    I did like their second album. Is her voice for real?

    I loved "Cartoon Heroes" and thought the video was very fun. (is her voice for real?). There's something hot about the bald guy, like that guy in M People.

    Well, I hope they got rid of the rhyming dictionary for this album. I also hope she was pollinated.

  • At 3:55 AM, Anonymous Violets Are Blue said…

    Record company bosses: singles' sales cannibalize albums' sales! if consumers buy the single, they wont buy the album!

    That is the reason why the single was limited. the single was deleted on the day of its release. the single configuration was released first, followed by the maxi-single format the week after. record stores were stuck with their orders, as they couldnt reorder the single.

    Turn Back Time would have been a hit, if only the label released it.

  • At 4:19 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    oh how i detested barbie girl (and samanda haven't helped the memory) but everything after that was lush on a stick. I particularly love We Belong To The Sea. I makes me want to swoon with the vapours. Viva Aqua!

  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    Add Aqua to the list of pop groups from Europe I never fully investigated! Or very much at all. I was never sure I could take her voice over a whole album, though I can think of a few songs where she sounds significantly different...so maybe it doesn't all sound like I expect it to?

    That video is really cute! My my at the lyrics, though ;)

  • At 10:42 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    OMG I totally forgot about Turn Back Time! A pretty nice pop ballad during the start of the fading days of the 90s bubblegum and fun era...

  • At 10:22 AM, Blogger Adem IAR said…


  • At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i cant believe they are finally getting back together!!! i have been a major fan for like 10 years!!! I LOVE THEM!!! i no im only 14 but i have listen to them ever since i was 4!!! YAY AQUA!!!

  • At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Buddy said…

    Wow, there is a great deal of useful information in this post!
    rip 60 | eggies | genie bra


Post a Comment

<< Home