dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Monday, October 15, 2007

So, Don't Hold Your Breath For That Steps Reunion, Says Pete Waterman

Pop Godfather Pete Waterman is always good for some sassy soundbites, and his responses to reader's questions in The Sun today are no exception.

In a classy Q&A with the feisty Brit (titled " I Made Simon Cowell"), Pete answers one hopeful lad writing in about the prospect of one of PW's most successful acts, Steps, reforming:
"For two years I tried to soothe the troubled waters. We spent lots of time trying to get them to talk, and came close maybe two or three times. I’ve got to be honest and say the gulf is still far too big to do it in the next 12 months, unless something has radically changed. They fell out badly at the end, it wasn’t subtle. One minute they were there and the next minute two had gone off leaving the other three very bitter."
Hmmm. I dunno, Pete, throw a few more doubloons into the bag of cash and chances are that reunion will only be a heartbeat away, baby. (BABY!) I mean, surely Faye can't be that happy pricing carrots at Tesco, right?

At any rate, how's this for depressing: next month marks 10 years since Steps' debut single, "5,6,7,8" was released. Even more depressing is what Pete had to say later in the same Sun article about One True Voice, the doomed boy band that was pitted against Girls Aloud on 2002's Pop Stars: The Rivals TV program:
"If One True Voice had have been intelligent I would have been hurt. But coming from five a***holes it meant nothing. I’m still around today and they’re not. I’ve never said anything about this before, but that was the worst experience in my life...I was tied up with five human beings who, when put together, were appalling. We had psychiatrists in and how the police didn’t arrest them every night of the week I’ll never know. It was horrendous...But opinions are like a***holes. Everybody’s got one. And there were five a***holes in that house."
Talk about Shakespeare's (way with) words...

Labels: , , ,


  • At 10:48 PM, Blogger Jump! said…

    Dang D'luv- I've been gone a bit and seeing these semi nude men in undies I wasn't sure if this was one of those gay singles pay websites!

    Anyway, Is it me or are the steps records just too terribly dated? I dunno why, I love SAW/PWL but for me steps just didn't age well with time. The longer we wait for a reunion the better. I dunno what the 3 steps have to be bitter about- they don't have to put Handcream on their resume/CV.

    Its all a bit dreadful in the PWL camp at the moment in my opinion. Anyhow, looking forward to future posts and I promise to do Swedeweek at my little blog.

  • At 2:13 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    hmmm, is pete waterman going the bitter route and slagging everyone off just like that old queen Louis Walsh? Though to be fair i was rather enamoured by steps and really no-one can say a word against them! And yes One True Voice may not be around now, but Pete is hardly having roaring success is he!?

  • At 7:16 AM, Blogger Adem IAR said…

    Do you remember the interview Pete did with Popjustice yeaars ago, the one where he said he would one day discuss the horror and bullshit behind Popstars: The Rivals? Can't find the link on PJ but I do remember it, albeit quite vaguely.

  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    Jumpin B, where'd you disappear off to? Forget Swedeweek...Post some semi-nude photos of yourself on your blog.

    Paul, I'm with you. Don't talk ill of Steps 'round these parts.

    Adem, I do.. in fact, I posted about that interview way back in the day. Unfortunately, I didn't link up directly to it, but I think PJ has had several revamps since then so it might not even be on their site anymore.

  • At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Perhaps the members of Steps had bad blood because the Steps management (including Pete Waterman, one is to assume) went behind Lee, Faye and Lisa's backs and handed H and Claire a solo career, thus ending Steps. And we all know how well that disaster turned out. A lot of the songs on H&Claire's album (yes, I own it) would have been massive hits for Steps. But the "gay guy and girl" duo never really sat well with anyone, not even Steps fans.

  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger MrBrady said…

    I chucked a load of greatest hits albums on a memory stick to accompany me and Mrs Brady on a long car journey recently - amongst them was Steps and S Club. It's just not pretty now.

  • At 11:00 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    Oh man, I still remember almost all the dance moves to the Steps songs!!!! It helps to have the CD singles from UK with you at all times! hehe


Post a Comment

<< Home