dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Truth Is Finally Out There

OMG! The best news ever arrived today -- Twentieth Century Fox finally confirmed a new X-Files movie will be released on July 25, 2008.

Diehard X-philes will be jazzed to know the Chris Carter-directed/Frank Spotnitz-penned film will be shot in Vancouver, starting in December. Vancouver was the location the first five seasons of The X-Files were shot, until David Duchovny got married and whined that they move it to Los Angeles. The show lost much of its original dark, atmospheric creepiness in the process.

I'm so excited, though! I've made it no secret that this year I started watching the show again on DVD, beginning with Season 1 in February. I literally wrapped up with Season 9 on Monday last week.

Many later episodes were brand new to me, as I stopped watching after Season 6 of the original run. Off the top of my head -- and for anyone interested in checking out the amazingly well-written, heartfelt sci fi/horror program for the first time -- some of my faves were Season 2's "One Breath" and "Ascension," Season 3's "Quagmire," "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'" and "War Of The Coprohages," Season 4's "Memento Mori" and Season 5's "Post-Modern Prometheus" and "Bad Blood."

It's highly recommended you start at the very beginning, though. The whole "mythology" can be pretty confusing if you don't, and there are really only two or three bad episodes out all 201 of them.

Viva Mulder and Scully!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger Yuяi said…

    Woo-hoo!! Long live Scully & Mulder!!

    As for my faves, any Black Oil / Alien Colonization episode rocks my world!

     
  • At 12:12 AM, Blogger Jump! said…

    Luke Wilson was so hot in "Bad blood". Funny episode too!

     
  • At 12:41 AM, Blogger Mike said…

    I think we have a weird psychic connection, I've been working my way through the X Files boxset too. Although I'm only up to season 3 because I keep getting sidetracked by Prisoner Cell Block H. I'm really excited about the movie even though the first film was shameful.

     
  • At 2:24 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    Mike - yay for some cell block h watching! I love that show

    OOO! I am excited about a new movie. And yes, One Breath (I nearly typed Bad Breath) is an amazing episode. I love it when Scully's dad does this beautiful speech about how his life was full of rewards but when he realised he couldn't see his daughter again it was if it was over in one breath. Sheer poetry. Sniffle :(

     
  • At 7:27 AM, Blogger xolondon said…

    I like the one that features the Peacock Family. Sigh. They remind me of growin' up in Georgia with Mama on a board under the bed.

    Good times, good times...

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    PS: I LOVE the one with the man who can read the future. Peter Boyle played the part, I think. Which one was that? A lovely work of art.

    I wish I could have a DVD of just like 12 of my fave eps.

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    XO, the one with the inbred Peacock family was "Home," which was apparently so disturbing/violent, FOX banned it from being rerun on the network. It even had a disclaimer at the beginning. I totally love that one, too. It was in Season 3.

    The other one, with Peter Boyle, was also Season 3: "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose." You'd really like "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'," too, which stars Charles Nelson Reilly (also Season 3). It's much in the same vein as the Peter Boyle one.

    Paul, "Ascension/One Breath," and pretty much any of the Scully cancer episodes, get me misty-eyed! I believe I sobbed heartily after "Memento Mori."

    Jump!, that's definitely the funniest one by far.

    Yuri, those ones were confusing the first time around, but after watching them all in order this year on DVD, I get it more now...

    Mike, yeah, the first film was a letdown... and I sat through it in the theater twice!

     
  • At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry
    This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
    Things are getting strange, now I can't sleep alone

    ^^ that was the only good thing about the x files. bboooooooooooring.

    but say, no one has mentioned the best episode ever: Fox in a speedo. now that's FOXY!

     
  • At 5:33 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    Do you know that song "David Duchovny" by Bree Sharp? It's beautiful! Sometimes when I listen to it, tears well up in my little eye.

     
  • At 7:21 AM, Blogger xolondon said…

    I wonder if Gillian will forget her accent in the movie? Have you noticed she has a Brit accent in the UK and an American one in the US?! It is very odd!

     
  • At 8:28 AM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    Gillian was born and raised in the U.K. but her family moved to the States when she was like 12 or something. She's lived and worked primarily in London for several years now since the X-Files went off the air in '02.

    Wonder if she's pals with Madge?

     
  • At 1:08 AM, Anonymous numbfromdrugs said…

    omg, it's all about Krycek. does he die? i don't remember...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home