dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Friday, November 16, 2007

Everything Old Is New Again

How the F did collections of previously-released material from The Killers and Spice Girls end up being the best "new" albums this fall?

I grabbed Sawdust and the Girls' Greatest Hits while here in New York (along with -- finally -- the import of Robyn's U.K. album), and right off the bat, the Killers one is pretty rad.

In fact, Sawdust is infinitely better than either Hot Fuss or Sam's Town as a whole. Since it's B-sides, unrleased tracks, etc., it's the band at a much more creative plateau than their safer album cuts.

All of a sudden -- with them all together -- you're finally pricking up your ears to songs like "Sweet Talk" and "All The Pretty Faces" that you previously had buried in iTunes or stuffed away somewhere on an import single. And "Shadowplay" is one of my jams of the year, for sure.

As for Spice Girls, that shit's been getting nonstop play since Wednesday on the iTunes D'luv. It's like bumping into your ex from a decade ago at the mall -- "Oh, wow, it's great to see you! What? Sex? Sure...how about the dressing room at Forever 21 or Gap Kids?"

Oh, I kid. But, hey, you know what to expect, and if you really sit down and play it 47 times over the course of two days, "Headlines" kinda rules!

Anyway, it's back to L.A. in a couple hours. Posh and Co. should come in pretty handy during a three hour layover in Detroit.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger El MarvelOso said…

    I prefer Dress Barn myself.

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Anonymous John said…

    Hope you enjoy your brief stay in the lovely state of Michigan. How bout a review of the Robyn CD, too? Eagerly awaiting that release.

     
  • At 6:33 PM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    El Marv, I don't know why I had the impression you were in northern California!?!? I definitely woulda made time to twirl around with you...oh, well. Next time!

    John, perhaps I'll post my thoughts on Robyn this weekend! Michigan was indeed a lovely layover...never been to Detroit before, but the airport was nice.

    Sigh. Finished Gary Barlow on the flight back. Now it's on to Jason Donovan....

     
  • At 9:53 PM, Blogger ww_adh said…

    Robyn's album is awesome. I reviewed it on my blog a few weeks ago. Definitely one of my favorites of the year. I remember Billboard's Fred Bronson raving about it when it came out a couple of years ago, but I didn't take much notice...should've listened to Fred.

     
  • At 10:42 PM, Blogger El MarvelOso said…

    It's the bear thing that makes you think of northern California. I can talk music all day!

    Sorry you were sick. I'm actually going to be in San Diego next week for a volleyball tournament and to have Thanksgiving with some friends (my first one away from my honey).

     
  • At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Godwin said…

    Goodness, there is a great deal of effective data in this post!
    Costa Rica airport | map New Mexico | South Carolina tourism

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Michael said…

    Hey, there is a great deal of effective info above!
    eggies | rip 60 reviews | flex seal

     

Post a Comment

<< Home