dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

It's Karma, Bitch

Holy heck, what a royal F*ck You from Billboard to Britney Spears!

The trade publication revised its chart rules yesterday to allow The Eagles' Long Road Out Of Eden --- available at Wal-Mart only -- eligibility for the Top 200 Albums chart. It easily outsold Britney's Blackout with 710,000 copies moved against her 290,000. There's more on all that in today's Towleroad column.

So much for not needing promotion any more! But Britney's trashiness aside, why the last minute change? If The Eagles had sold less than her this past week, would the rules still have been changed the day before the new chart was announced? Hmmm...

Anyway, here are how the be-weaved singer's U.S. albums have sold as of 2007:

* ...Baby One More Time (1999) - 14 million

* Oops!...I Did It Again (2000) - 10 million (1.3 million first week)

* Britney (2001) - 4 million (746,000 first week)

* In The Zone (2003) - 2 million (609,000 first week)

* Greatest Hits: My Prerogative (2004) - 1.5 million (255,000 first week)

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    Don Henley probably breathed heavy. Although I think he is a WILTED COCK for selling to WalMart only, I don't see why it should not have eligibility for the charts.

    That number is suspcious though! Did they sell the double CD for 5 bucks or something.

    If the side benefit is NOT rewarding Titney for bad behavior, so be it!

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    There's definitely a trend with those sales and it's not pretty for Shitney.

     
  • At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Orangutan!...I Did It Again said…

    That is a little wierd. Billboard does periodically change the chart rules though to reflect changes in the marketplace, I wonder if this had been in the works for a while?

     
  • At 11:37 PM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    I think I remember reading earlier that Billboard said they...oh, let me just go look it up...right, "We would have preferred to make this decision earlier, but only became aware within the last 24 hours that Wal-Mart would be willing to share the data for this title with Nielsen SoundScan." And hmmm, I wonder if they would have shared that data if it hadn't been so great? Not that I'm too bothered, but yeah, basically, I agree with your question (can you agree with a question? Agree with your rhetorical question's point or whatever).

     
  • At 12:07 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    the first week sales for Britz were a lot lower than i thought they would be actually. I can't see this album selling huge amounts and part of me thinks oh good, you lazy minx, why should we be bothered about it if you are not, but part of me thinks, oh the wasted opportunities you are throwing away young lady. I would lock her in a room and deprive her of starbucks and tacos til she came to her senses...

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    XO, perhaps they gave the CD away free at the checkout with every purchase of a Snickers bar?

    Mike, Britney's never denied she likes to go down...

    Orangutan!..., I'm guessing it had been in the works ever since last week when The Eagles' managment started bitching up a storm to Nielsen.

    PG, exactly.

    Paul, but I wonder if she puts her Starbucks in her taco...?

     
  • At 5:19 AM, Blogger Darren said…

    Previous autumn I dreadfully looked for College thesis writing help. Subsequently dreadfully long pursuit I saw write my paper which does precisely the thing I required. so guys you in actual fact need to look at write my book report

     

Post a Comment

<< Home