dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Music Junkie Digest: A New Day For Australia (And George Michael!)

Congratulations to all our Australian friends on their new prime minister, the Labour Party's Kevin Rudd, who was elected today.

Rudd defeated the conservative John Howard, ending the latter's 11-year rule. Rudd promises to sign the Kyoto Protocol and withdraw Australia's 550 combat troops from Iraq.

In his victory speech, Rudd stated, "I want to put aside the old battles of the past, between business and unions; between growth and the environment.''

John Howard was one of George Bush's longest and staunchest allies. Here's hoping for a similar vote for change in the U.S. next year!

****
Last November, MoogaBoo and whipped up a banterview on George Michael cleverly titled, if I do say so myself, "Dissing A Fool." I always felt this to be one of the more underrated gems here on Chart Rigger. So, much to my glee, an angry George fan (Is there really any other kind?) stumbled upon it last night and anonymously posted the following rant:

"Must say ttly do NOT agree with you. I went to his 25 Live tour, it was fantastic. George Michael is back and stronger than ever. His voice is fantastic, his music is from the heart and moves you. He filled up stadiums and that should tell you enough. He will be touring the U.S. soon and I hope he will continue touring. I don't get it, how nasty people can write and act, just say you don't like something and that's enough, artists are also people with feelings and it is very nasty to read certain comments. When did we all become so harsh and inhuman. It's a pitty. I can only add that he has attracted all his fans to the tour and has gained a whole lot of new and young fans as well, I am one of them. Never was a fan of Wham, but I am from the George Michael the way he sings now. Ah and all you male out there, that do listen to his music,but never would openly admit it, get over yourselfs please, the sexiest thing in a man is him being secure of his sexuality & that includes in having no problems with gay men. Else you are just one sorry ass (sorry) of a person. There is room in this world for all people no matter what colour, believe, background and lifestyle, just as long as we respect each other.
Love, peace and respect."
First off, I'd like to thank you, whoever you may be, for commenting. You raise some excellent points... for being a George Michael fan. Oh, just kidding.

George is indeed quite talented. Not so much at driving, mind you. But, look, the bottom line is that he hasn't made a listenable record since "Fastlove," and if he spent half as much time in the studio writing decent music as he does gumming old bastards in the park, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But as always, you gotta have faith.
****
Jake Shears is one classy broad. According to The Daily Star, the head Scissor Sister said he'd fill in for the recently-injured Howard Donald in Take That if he were asked:

"I absolutely love Take That and would drop everything to join them on stage. It sucked that Howard got injured. I would have been him for a while if they'd asked. Right now I have time in my schedule and it means I'd get to dance again - though I'd probably pass on the backflips."
****

Congrats are also in order for Robyn, who took the the title Best Female Of The Year at Don't Stop The Pop's curiously Swede-heavy Pop Awards. Robyn's next U.K. single off her self-titled album is to be "Be Mine!", which will get a physical CD release January 14. The month of January is typically a slow time for new singles, so here's hoping the lack of competition enables Robyn to see a high chart entry. "Be Mine!" originally peaked at #3 in Sweden in 2005.

****
It looks as if the days of the Spice Girls landing songs atop the U.K. chart with each release have long gone by. U.K. midweek reports show "Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)" sitting around #10 after about 6,000 CD copies were sold this week. Granted, it has been seven years since they last put out a proper single.

Guess we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger mobius said…

    Jake Shears filling in for Howie? Awww bless.

    You must check out the new Scissor Sisters DVD. It's great. Fantastic concert and the bonus documentary is fabulous.

     
  • At 5:08 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    Awww, it's a "pitty" you upset that person.

    Though that was a more valiant attempt at a response than any Mariah Lamb or Claymate could've mustered up. I'll give them that much.

    PS: I DO love George's Precious Box..

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger paul @ www.thezapping.com said…

    ooo i love it when you upset "the fans"!!! More banterviews soon please :)

    I hate hate hate that cover to the Robyn single. It just seems so lazy to use such an overused shot (though not as lazy as Britney's piece of me artwork) and those desert scarves went out of fashion probably around the same time that picture was taken. I may not be a Robyn fan, but i want her to succeed, but the laziness around her releases bugs me.

    Ditto to what Mobius said about the Scissters new dvd. It really is very ace.

    And oh i thought george's career was driving around drunk and stoned and horny these days? Boy have i been put in my place...

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger paul @ www.thezapping.com said…

    PS ~ "all you male out there" "sorry ass (sorry)"

    that did make me titter muchly!

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger El MarvelOso said…

    The fact is George Michael hasn't been writing good songs lately. Most of his newer stuff is boring. He'll get a 2 bar groove going and he'll ad lib over it. These melodies aren't the kind you can sing along to.

    I want to like his newer songs, but his older material is the better stuff. He knew how to craft a good pop song.

     
  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    Mobius and Paul, I do indeed have the Scissor Sisters DVD sitting on my desk. I'll definitely check it out now after your recommendations.

    XO, I agree. I love how he apologized, too, after using the word "ass." Meanwhile, that tween tartlet that told me to go "beep and orangutan" after the Jojo banterview could learn a thing or two from this person. The nerve!

    Paul, I don't hate Robyn's single cover, but I was noting how Aryan it looks.

    El Marv, I wholeheartedly agree! I meant what I said in the post -- I don't think he's released a good song since "Fastlove" back in '96. I say "song," because on the whole, the Older album just was kind of boring. I sort of like "Outside," off the '98 Best Of..., but it's really cheesy.

    I really wanted to like the duet with Mutya from last year, but godalmighty was that dull as shit.

     
  • At 7:13 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    When are you doing your next Mariah banterview? My finger is itching to spread the link far and wide to lambs everywhere!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home