dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Zig-a-zig-Ugh!

Dammit! Just when "Headlines" was growing on me, the Mirror reports that the new Spice Girls single is struggling at British radio and with sales.

"Headlines" is currently only available digitally, and the physical CD single comes out in the U.K. next week. But apparently it's been relegated to the C-list on Radio 1, where it only gets one play at day. It's now hovering around #20 in the midweeks for tomorrow's chart, after about 5,000 paid digital downloads.

Here's what the Mirror had to say:
George Ergatoudis, the station's Head Of Music, explains: "The opinion of the Radio 1 playlist team is that the song isn't strong enough. Clearly there's a huge number of Spice Girls fans out there - look at the tickets they have sold. But 'Headlines' is very disappointing. The song simply isn't strong enough.. it would have been a B-side in their heyday."

The Girls' 19 Management are also dismayed with Headlines' poor impact on the download market. One source admits: "Everyone's putting on a brave face. But the focus is very much on the tour - they can always fall back on the success of that instead."

Let's not even talk about the States, where "Headlines" crept up to #88 on the iTunes download chart a few days ago, but has now fallen down to #98.

Elsewhere, in honor of ITV's airing of the Kylie Show special, the Daily Mail ran a special feature on the Aussie vixen where her sister Dannii Minogue, former beau Jason Donovan and her original producer Pete Waterman all commented in depth about her life and career. The piece also included the picture to the right of Kylie and Jason reunited. Awwww.

Here's just some of what Jase says:
If I am honest, I was extremely envious of her success at that time. Kylie went from being a homegrown talent to an international star. In 1988, it became increasingly difficult to juggle her dual careers of television and pop... I'll never forget the whole Stock Aitken Waterman thing, songs weren't particularly written before you'd even go in the studio. I struggled with that.

But she had a very strong musical ear, her vocals - even on those tracks where she was given just two hours to put them together - still stand up. You'd be a fool - and I wasn't - to jump the boat just because you were struggling a bit with the musical element of the Stock Aitken Waterman process halfway through what was to be an extremely successful time.

In 1989 we met in LA and I noticed she wasn't the same with me. I went to New York and she went to Japan, then she called. All I can remember are the words, "it's over". It was like a blow to the stomach. I tried to get her to change her mind but she wasn't having any of it.

When we broke up, it was thrown very much in my face. Why wouldn't one be hurt on that basis? And Michael Hutchence was someone I admired and respected. She never did give me a reason for the breakup. I'm not sure if I asked her if there was someone else. If she had started seeing Michael Hutchence when we were still together is something I can't say. But all those things take a cooling down period. There was never resentment; that's life.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 11:20 PM, Blogger ww_adh said…

    I wouldn't count "Headlines" out just yet. It's still two weeks away from getting a physical single release. And the airplay is still growing; it was #23 on the UK airplay chart last weekend, up 3 spots.

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Blogger El MarvelOso said…

    I agree. I think the song will do better once the single is out. This song is a grower (no jokes, please). After two listens, I was able to recall the chorus, along with skeletal images.

    Does anyone know if Jason mentioned that SAW gave him b-side material to sing?

     
  • At 12:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In my view every person ought to look at it.
    this check | also 5 | do not forget 5 nice 7 | good 2 | check 2 you may 2 | look 8

     

Post a Comment

<< Home