dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Sunday, December 02, 2007

A History Of Kylie Minogue At #4: Part II

And so it comes to pass that Kylie Minogue's long-awaited 10th studio album, X, charts at #4 in the U.K. -- the same position her single "2 Hearts" initially landed on the singles chart. (And kudos for the latter hanging in the Top 10 for a third week.) In Australia, the homeland of the dimunative pop vixen, Kylie fares much better as X goes straight in at #1 on the ARIA chart. Alas, there's just no budging Leona Lewis' tepid box from the top.

But it's not all doom and gloom, Kylie Kids! In fact, 2001's Fever has actually been the blonde hooker's only U.K. #1 album for the past 15 years.

That said, as we did two weeks ago with her singles, let's check out Kylie's other albums that peaked at #4:

Kylie Minogue (1994)
Singles: "Confide In Me," "Where Is The Feeling," "Put Yourself In My Place"

Here was the singer's first post-Stock Aitken Waterman/PWL album -- and first for the now-defunct DeConstruction label -- which found her amping up the indie cred and sex appeal. "Confide In Me" was the big hit -- though am I right in remembering it got her into some hot water with Pete Waterman, who sued after claiming its melody beared resemblance to Opus III's "A Fine Day,"a hit single licensed to PWL? Anyway, the true gems on this self-titled album for me have always been "Put Yourself In My Place" and the cover of Saint Etienne's "Nothing Can Stop Us," which was tacked onto the Japanese edition of the record as a bonus track.

The Pet Shop Boys also wrote the album track "Falling," though the version here is drastically different from the original demo the duo passed along to her. Said demo is included on the Boys' remastered edition of Very (it's also on iTunes), and Neil Tennant reveals the following in the liner notes:
"'Falling started off as a remix Chris [Lowe] did of 'Go West.' He'd re-harmonised it... we didn't really need a remix of 'Go West,' but we had been asked to write a song for Kylie... Writing it, I always imagined Kylie doing a very Kylie dance routine, but this was for Kylie's first post-Stock Aitken Waterman album and it was a little bit contrary of us to give her a song like that. Kylie wanted to be New Kylie, not Old Kylie, and were being very contrary and did Stock Aitken Waterman Kylie. It's got that soaring quality. She recorded it with Farley and Heller, and they did it as a sort of deep house thing and she spoke the words rather than sang the melody. I was very disappointed..."

Ultimate Kylie (2004)
Singles: "I Believe In You," "Giving You Up"

One of Kylie's umpteenth hits compilations in recent years, though a legitimate one containing two new compositions. "I Believe In You" was written with and produced by Jakes Shears and Babydaddy of the Scissor Sisters, and stands out as one of Minogue's finest singles of the past two decades. It entered the U.K. chart at #2, and was unfortunately held off from the top by the godawful Band Aid 20 fiasco that December. As for "Giving You Up"... well, let's just say it's not her most memorable single.

So for now, X joins the ranks of these Kylie albums that peaked at #4 in the U.K. Ultimately chart rankings really have nothing to do with the quality of the actual music, but it's nice to note that X is, at least in my mind, a far superior album to 2003's Body Language, which got no higher than #6.

* Read "A History Of Kylie MInogue At #4: Part 1 (the singles)

The U.K. Top 10:

1. "Bleeding Love" - Leona Lewis *6 weeks*
2. "Heartbroken" - T2 feat. Jodie Aysha
3. "Call The Shots" - Girls Aloud
4. "Rule The World" - Take That
5. "Apologize" - Timbaland feat. OneRepublic
6. "Valerie" - Mark Ronson feat. Amy Winehouse
7. "No One" - Alicia Keys
8. "Breathless" - Shayne Ward
9. "2 Hearts" - Kylie Minogue
10. "Home" - Westlife

Labels: , , , , , ,


  • At 4:56 PM, Blogger paul @ www.thezapping.com said…

    Interesting chart this week ~ there will be no shifting Leona on either chart until Christmas week when the X Factor winner releases his (yes because apparently ITV have already decided Rhydian will be winner over my beloved Same Difference) single. Talking of X Factor, even though the skanky ho Girls Aloud wannabes Hope are finally voted off, a few weeks ago they sang Back In Black and the amy song rocketed back up the charts. Last week they sang Hurt and that has gone back in the charts this week. Oy vey!

    With the charts rules changing, Mariah and The Pogues christmas tunes debut and will probably rise as the weeks go on. How fantastically festive.

    On the album charts i see la Spice are dropping faster than there hemlines (but not as fast as Girls Aloud - it was like everyone bought the album for Call The Shots and now that is released no one needs it anymore) and Shayne managed a v respectable number two. I am liking his album much more than Kylies at the mo, not sure why!

  • At 5:21 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    "X" is love! #4 is a decent debut given its bumper sales and I think the album will continue to perform given its quality. #1 in Australia without so much as a promotional visit is pretty amazing.

    "Kylie Minogue", on the other hand, is my least favourite Kylie album by far. Her voice never sounded better but the songs are overwhelmingly dull. "Love Is Waiting" is the pick of the bunch in my view and that was also relegated to a Japanese bonus track. Gotta love Deconstruction!

  • At 10:46 PM, Blogger El MarvelOso said…

    I wasn't too fond of "Kylie Minogue", but I did like the mixes from the album. I was more into "Impossible Princess". Very cool album.

    Her work with Brothers In Rhythm was excellent, but it lacked the pop appeal that her earlier songs had.

    I was happy with her musical direction after her Deconstruction work.

    Did I mention that she called my house once...?

  • At 3:19 AM, Anonymous Bloggerbitch said…

    your site is fucking awesome man. You are my inspiration. I love your way with words.

    Bloggers of the web - beware! Bloggerbitch.com is coming



  • At 9:41 AM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    Pablo, Leona can kiss my butt. Girls Aloud, too. Though -- and don't tell anyone -- I finally listened to "Call The Shots" the whole way through and kinda like it now. Sshhhh!

    Mike, I think it'll stick around in the long run, too, given the quality. At least I'd like to think so. I have a Deconstruction compilation from 1993 that I found used about 6 years back. It's got some jams on it. "Open your mind! Open your mind!"

    El Marv, Kylie MInogue is one of my least favorites, but I think Let's Get To It takes the cake as far as her worst album. Add me to the list of fans of Impossible Princess, too.

    She called your house? Were you interviewing her? Do tell!

    BB, thanks, boo. I'm shivering with antici.........

  • At 5:21 PM, Blogger El MarvelOso said…

    I don't even listen to "Let's Get To It". Bad album.

    My friend was interviewing her. He sometimes get artists who I really like to call me so I can gush.

    My parter just had an operation, so she called the house to see how he was doing. We talked about her new album ("Body Language") and how I declared her the international Pop Queen. Also talked about her work with Steve Anderson (BIR. I'm a big fan).


Post a Comment

<< Home