dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Kylie And Jason Are Peforming On The X Factor Finale, But They Probably Won't Have Sex

Oh, it warms the stoic glacier that is D'luv's heart to find out that Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan will be performing on the finale of U.K. dog-and-pony show The X Factor tomorrow night. This shit better be on YouTube pronto so us Yanks can watch, too! It doesn't look like the former couple will be singing together, but you never know -- maybe they'll knock the socks off viewers by belting out their 1988 duet, "Especially For You"!

Meanwhile, I'm about halfway through Jason Donovan's autobiography, Between The Lines, and here's a real hot part:
...when I had been promoting Ten Good Reasons, I had been invited onto a major prime-time TV show in France. In rehearsals, the producer, who I remember had one of those tiny fluffy dogs that only the French seem to have, told me that once I completed the interview I would then move to the centre of the studio and sing.

"It'll be live, of course," he told me.

"Live?"

I flashed Sally Atkins, the PR representative with me, a sideways glance. "I guess I can do the verses but I'm not sure about the chorus. It's a little high for me," I whispered. Sally was only all to aware of the fact that this was a real issue for me, and so she talked the producers round and, to my shame, convinced them to let me mime.

It wasn't that I couldn't sing - I could - it was just that sometimes I couldn't cope with the musical range in the songs that Stock, Aitken and Waterman were giving me. I think it would be fair to say that Mike and Matt weren't writing the music with the intention of it being sung live, they were writing to sell singles. If a song was either too low or too high for an artist it would be ironed out in the studio.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 6:40 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    I don't understand why the X Factor is dragging an old has been like Jason out for their finale. Is it meant to be a warning of the harsh reality that lies ahead for most contestants?!

     
  • At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Especially 4 Orangutan said…

    Interesting tid bit from Jase there. Is there much other PWL gossip in the book?

     
  • At 7:52 PM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    Awww at that story! I don't know why I have that reaction...maybe I can just picture too many of my little singers in that situation--"wait--what? you mean I have to sing live? oh no...", real nervous-like.

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Personally, I love the Jase. His "Between The Lines" album is one of my all-time faves...and how can you NOT love "RSVP"???

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    Mike, everyday (in every way) I love you more.

    E4O, yeah, there's a lot, actually. He tells the whole story about "I Should Be So Lucky" being written in two minutes or something, but has Pete in the studio when it's happening, which MIke Stock contradicts in his own book. He also talks about "Nothing Can Divide Us" being written originally for Rick Astley, who pretty much in Jason's words was a much better singer and could hit the high notes. That's pretty much all the further I am so far.

    PG, yes, and then think about all the pop stars who aren't actually the real vocalists on their records who have to avoid live situations.

    Anonymous, love "RSVP." I think my fave by him is "You Can Depend On Me." Off Between The Lines, I really like "Careless Talk And Silly Lies" and "Another Night."

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello, gorgeous D'Luv...it's me, Mark...forgot to post my name when leaving as "annonymous"...

    In any event, 2 things:

    1. You need to change your screen name to: D'YUMMY, and:

    2. "Careless Talk And Silly Lies" is also one of my ALL-TIME PWL faves....

    Great minds think alike...now if only I looked like you in a pair of jeans.....

    Mark

     

Post a Comment

<< Home