dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Like A Junkie Whore, Sara Bareilles Shoots Up The Charts While Blake Lewis Takes A Fall

But this is a good thing! After totally selling out (which we all do... wave me a fiver and I'm anybody's!) by having "Love Song" appear in a couple advertisements, California piano broad Sara Bareilles sees her single fling up Billboard's Hot 100 from #72 to #16 this week. I really like this song. I tend to think that if my Best Pop Singles Of 2007 list had extended beyond 10, Sara would be at #11. In fact, I can guarantee it would have been. But it didn't, so better luck next year, luv.

It bears mentioning that Alicia Keyes officially has the final #1 U.S. single of the year, as this chart is dated December 29. What a drag. Thank God I've successfully managed to avoid hearing this boring zombie's limp dirge on the radio for the past month. That one time was traumatizing enough.

And sorry, MoogaBoo. I know you included Alicia in your list of the year's best singles -- and I'm really trying to understand and work through it -- but you're not always right, you know!

It's also nice to see Jordin Sparks move up a bit within the Top 10. Don't get me wrong -- she's as dull as a sack of potatoes, but "Tattoo" is a pleasant enough pop song. Her self-titled album even regains its bullet on the chart this week, where it sits at #26.

However, Blake Lewis, who debuted last week at #10, plummets to #32. You'd best dust off those knee pads, Little Fuzzy. You've got some radio programmers to visit.

Meanwhile, Josh Groban... four times platinum after 10 weeks. It's a f***ed-up world.

The U.S. Top 10:

1. "No One" - Alicia Keys *5 weeks*
2 "Low" - Flo Rida feat. T-Pain *airplay gainer*
3. "Apologize" - Timbaland feat. OneRepublic
4. "Kiss Kiss" - Chris Brown feat. T-Pain
5. "Clumsy" - Fergie
6. "Bubbly" - Colbie Caillat
7. "Paralyzer" - Finger Eleven
8. "Tattoo" - Jordin Sparks
9. "Hate That I Love You" - Rihanna feat. Ne-Yo
10. "Good Life" - Kanye West feat. T-Pain

Labels: , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    I have no good excuse... I just liked the "wuh-uh-uh-uh-oh"s.

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger El MarvelOso said…

    "No One" should listen to that song. It's so bad. I won't even talk about her delivery...

    Josh Groban: He's like generic white bread loafs you find at small grocery stores that have those florescent discounted sticks on 'em.

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger duanemoody.com said…

    I am so happy that Sara is getting the attention she deserves; she is amazing!!

     
  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger paul @ www.thezapping.com said…

    Yay for Sara. And Blake can "fall on his knees" anytime for me. It is Christmas after all...

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    Yeah, maybe it was just because I had the time to overdose on TV this week, but Sarah seemed like she was everywhere--or, more accurately, appeared during every commercial break. I've got no problem with that, though.

    At least Blake's got a #40 smash on the Mediabase charts to cheer him up--sigh... I'm kind of surprised they're still plugging ahead with promoting "Break Anotha" instead of going for another track. I mean, "Break Anotha" doesn't have its own chipmunk-ified version on YouTube, does it? If that's not a sign of which songs can capture the public's imagination, I don't know what is.

     
  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger xolondon said…

    Sara has developed (haha) the way artists used to be allowed to developed, with a slow promotional push over time. I bet her album will take off more next year. It seems like she could be a big star and it's probably for the best that it does not happen overnight. I recommend that CD to everyone.

    Meanwhile, I hear Blake is stopping by Instinct for his own promotional PUSH.

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Moog, pur-lease! We all know you like her sparkly dress in the video.

    El Marv, ...and mold.

    DuaneM, yay! Now she can afford a boob job!!

    Paul, his gay yuletide sausage!

    PG, that was...klassy. You made that, didn't you, you little temptress?

    XO, yay! Now she can afford a boob job!!

     
  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger Trailer Trashlee said…

    Alicia Keys is some sort of robot--she's always perfect and how many #1's is this now? She better not go after Mimi's record or the lambs shall get a bit bitey...

    Oh, and BTW, how awesome (and surprising) is it that Fergie's got another top 5 hit, which will most likely go #1? All of her singles (except for "Fergalicious," which got spiked by Mathew Knowles's deep pockets) have been #1...

    Viva La Dutchess!!

     
  • At 12:42 AM, Blogger Adem With An E said…

    I wonder if Blake's a little, or a lot fuzzy downstairs as well?

     
  • At 1:52 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    TT, who, luv?

    Adem, you mean in his basement? I don't think he has mold... he seems like a fella who vacuums and dusts regularly.

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Blogger Yuяi said…

    Took you long enough to notice Sara and Feist, JD! I think you should pay for the boob jobs...it's the least you could do! :P

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Bear said…

    This is my cousin and i don't like the title, i'm glad you recognized her but watch the way its worded. Thanks so much

     
  • At 6:22 AM, Anonymous posicionamiento web said…

    I read a lot of helpful info in this post!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home