dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Feels Like Some Kinda Rush

The other day when I hit Virgin before it closes this weekend, I picked up the DVDs for Flashdance (the "Special Collector's Edition," mind you) and Pulp Fiction (also a majorly loaded-up "Collector's Edition"), as well as the Sara Bareilles CD and Spandau Ballet's Gold: The Best Of. Feeling like there might be some hidden gem I'd missed, I went back last night -- and I was right!

I took a stroll through the dance section and there was Booty Luv's full-length Boogie 2Nite on import staring back! These two broads kinda cheesed me off off when they criticized Scooch for beating them to represent the U.K. at Eurovision last spring -- sour grapes, and all. But goddamn, if this CD isn't total radness!

I'm not really one for remixes or pure dance music myself, but Boogie 2Nite is just the right blend of beats and pop, much like the Angel City album was a couple years back.

U.S. iTunes has the single EPs for "Boogie 2Nite" and "Don't Mess With My Man," so I was familiar with those. And "Shine" was passable, if not a tad limp. But their latest single -- and the first one that isn't a cover -- "Some Kinda Rush" is pretty awesome. At least it sounded that way at 11:30 p.m. blasting in the car, driving home after eating lackluster sushi!

It's currently at #19 on the U.K. singles chart.

Hopefully there's more original material and less covers on the next album. But, that said, Boogie 2Nite is a none-too-shabby debut.



  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    Lackluster Sushi should totally be the name of their next album.

  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Already retitled the current one that on my iPod, luv. Excellent recommendation!

  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger El MarvelOso said…

    "Some Kinda Rush" is very fun! Thanks for yet another recommendation to add to my collection

  • At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Sir Pabz said…

    Even though those bitches were totally MIA on NYE at the O2 I still love them. Awesome album - trash and flash in equal measure. Ok... a bit more trash but still better than half of the shit on KIIS.


Post a Comment

<< Home