dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Monday, January 07, 2008

Gay-Friendly Morrissey Negotiating To Play In Gay-Hanging Iran

On 2004's You Are Quarry, Morrissey laments in "America Is Not The World" that the U.S. "President is never black, female or gay" (though, four years later, two of those are looking to be strong possibilities for next year).

So it's odd, then, that Le Moz's manager is quoted by The Independent saying that they're negotiating with Iran's Ministry Of Culture and Islamic Guidance to get Morrissey a concert date in Tehran, where you're publicly hung if found guilty of partaking in gay sexual activity.

Then again, Morrissey is likely still reeling from the recent PR disaster after an interview with U.K. rock mag NME last month all but found him branded across the world as a racist for a second time. "If you walk through Knightsbridge on any bland day of the week you won't hear an English accent. You'll hear every accent under the sun apart from the British accent," he was quoted as saying in response to a question of whether immigration is enriching or diluting the British identiy.

It should be noted that Morrissey is taking legal action against the publication for allegedly twisting his words out of context, and that the writer of the piece requested his name be removed.

So who knows whether Morrissey wanting to play in Iran -- and also Beirut and Jerusalem, his manager is quoted as saying -- is a move to counter him being labeled an anti-immigration racist or just some long-harbored artistic desire? Incidentally, singer Chris De Burgh ("Lady In Red") was recently granted permission to play Iran, which will make him the first Western artist to perform in the country since the 1979 Revolution.

In the meantime, Morrissey's got a greatest hits collection coming out February 4, which gathers mostly tracks from his past two albums along with a couple of his bigger hits from days of yore and two new songs.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Bibliophiliac said…

    That should be, "publicly hanged." I've no idea if Morrissey is hung, privately or publicly. Not sure why Morrissey seems to be flailing about so much lately, but I suppose that's why he's a singer and not a professor.

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    What has Iran done to deserve Chris De Burgh? I guess Roger Whittaker was busy.....

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger Trailer Trashlee said…

    I've never seen you looking so lovely as you did tonight
    I've never seen you shine so bright
    I've never seen so many men ask you if you wanted to dance
    They're looking for a little romance, given half a chance
    I have never seen that dress you're wearing
    Or the highlights in your head that catch your eyes I have been blind
    The lady in red is dancing with me cheek to cheek
    There's nobody here, it's just you and me, It's where I wanna be
    But I hardly know this beauty by my side
    I'll never for get, the way you look tonight

    I've never seen you looking so gorgeous as you did tonight
    I've never seen you shine so bright you were amazing
    I've never seen so many people want to be there by your side
    And when you turned to me and smiled, It took my breath away
    I have never had such a feeling
    Such a feeling of complete and utter love, as I do tonight

    The way you look tonight
    I never will forget, the way you look tonight
    The lady in red
    The lady in red
    The lady in red
    My lady in red (I love you.)

    No, Chris. WE love you.

     
  • At 5:46 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    {eyebrow raised}

    No, boycott the fuckers. That is fucking BLOOD MONEY.

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Bib, oopsie! See, this is why I didn't major in English. I lived on a floor in a residence hall of all English majors one year, and luckily had trysts with just enough of them so that I kin spell them big werds.

    Mike, I always used to sing the lyrics "lady in drag." Hilarious, no? Hello? Mike?

    TnT, let's dry bang. Now.

    XO, preach.

     
  • At 4:09 AM, Anonymous Abram said…

    To state more, be free to visit this site because this is the resource with extremely fine stuff to deliver.Thanx a lot for post.
    4

     
  • At 4:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It cannot have effect in reality, that is what I consider.
    nice link | check link | good check look 3 | this link | superb check look 7 | nice 8

     

Post a Comment

<< Home