dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

This Much Is True: The Rather Humdrum Myth Of J'ason D'luv

J'ason D'luv. The man. The myth. The purveyor of l'information inutile. In the nearly three years Chart Rigger has been ambling along, I've been asked a lot about where the "J'ason D'luv" monicker came from. And I always think, That's my real name, you F-ing tool! Oh, I jest. Hunker down and pull the corn out of your ears, kids, because what follows is the wicked truth. It all starts with my one and only hapless attempt at real chart-rigging, 10 years ago this month.

At that time, I was just out of college and working a dire job as a room service waiter at the downtown Pittsburgh Doubletree Hotel. I was heavily into collecting all music produced by Frank and Christian Berman, aka The Berman Brothers -- Real McCoy, Amber, She Moves, React, etc. (Check out the blog Pop Laundromat's Berman Brothers post, which has some of the essentials for download.)

The Berman Brothers

I read a review of Alex Braydon's cover version of Spandau Ballet's "True" that month in Billboard, which was produced by the Bermans. I was particularly jazzed about the "dizzying flurry of synths" Billboard described.

And so, one dreary day that icy winter, my old pal MoogaBoo and I concocted a plan wherein we would take to "the internet" and begin droning on and on about Alex Braydon's "True" on DJ message boards and in music forums in an attempt to "build excitement and sales momentum." As we were also heavily into '80s Stock Aitken Waterman music at that time, I took the alias Jason D'luv (minus the first apostrophe) -- as a play on Jason Donovan -- and MoogaBoo went by Sonia A'stley -- i.e., a Sonia and Rick Astley combo. (Yes, folks, this is all sadly true.)

Anyway, we assaulted a grand total of one DJ forum, whose name I now forget, though Moog can probably recall it. Ever the instigators, we got more carried away with posting an elaborate (fake) story about how we were at New York City nightclub Twilo the weekend before and saw MTV veejay John Norris making out with another guy. Ooh, naughty! Typically, in the end, Alex Braydon's "True" was shelved, as was his Berman-produced album (though you can hear clips of all the tracks at CD Universe -- pretty groovy '90s Europop!)

John Norris, needless to say, weathered the scandal and is still happily working for MTV. Seven years after all that, in January 2005, I came home from the grocery store annoyed at all the Hip hop and emo playing on the radio and decided to vent my frustration in what became a web log called Chart Rigger. The newly double-apostrophe'd "J'ason D'luv" was the first thing that came to mind as a pen name.

Up until about a year ago, that DJ forum thread started back in January 1998 by "Jason" and "Sonia" was still online. However, much like Alex Braydon, it has now disappeared somewhere into the great unknown.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

  • At 9:11 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    The first apostrophe was just too suspicious. haha But my first impression of the name was akin to hearing about some character from the sixties like Jason King: smooth, knowingly gorgeous and full of...

    hang on...

    are you sure it's a character?

    hehehehehe ;)

     
  • At 11:00 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    It's for the best that it's not real as I have like 4 blogger friends named Jason...

    [not a very exciting comment, is it?]

     
  • At 11:10 PM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    I love how our collective lack of influence got the Brayden affair shelved. Think we could do it again? I'm thinking Ashlee SImpson could use our "help."

     
  • At 11:25 PM, Blogger John said…

    Can you guys start a buzz campaign for the new Soulja Boy single? Much obliged...

     
  • At 1:25 AM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    See, I always just figured it was--oh, what's the word I'm looking for? Or the name of that game? One of those things where when you read the words out loud, and they sound like something else, another phrase...so "J'ason D'luv" became something like "Jasin' duh love" and then "Chasin' the love."

    Yeah, my mind works in odd ways.

    Anyway, on a less odd note, I liked reading the backstory!

     
  • At 8:46 AM, Blogger El MarvelOso said…

    Wow, I feel like I really know you now... The real you. (*khff* *khff*)

    What's sad is that your experience of SAW productions was from an historic view, while I was dancing to it when it came out!!! (we'll have to talk about trading SAW tracks)

    As for John Norris... I think every time I went to the Roxy, I saw him making out with another guy. Very sloppy.

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Yuяi said…

    So...the mystery has finally been revealed! Why do I feel we've been given the Chris Carter version of this story? I'm sure you'd have to kill us if we knew all the deets, right? :P

    Totally agree with John's comment...work something up for Soulja Boy, k? And while you guys are at it, throw something together for Sean Kingston too. Yeah, that's the ticket!

    PS. I see nothing wrong with the name Jason. It's the *bestest* name in the whole wide world!

     
  • At 11:08 AM, Blogger paul @ www.thezapping.com said…

    ooo how exciting. Damn my name for being so boring. I should change it to something like Stiffan Throbbington-Crotch. Hmmm i like that. One day i will tell you the story of how my dog got her name (blackard stanley matthews babcock babe chicken licken lickity split reynolds the dog boo flower pop)

    PS I always thought your name was an abbreviated way of saying get'cha ass on (J'Ason) da love (D'Luv). How wrong i was.

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Anonymous John from PA said…

    Wondered for awhile now what it meant, and now I know.

    Looking forward to more interesting posts this year. Happy 2008!

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Anonymous L'Orangutan said…

    At last, the truth is revealed! It is a great psuedonym.

    & the Alex Braydon album! I never knew it surfaced. Too bad it got shelved, from the clips it sounds a bit more dance floor-friendly than the CDs the Bermans produced for React and She Moves. Caught In The Act's version of "Love Is Everywhere" is better though.

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Blogger Robb said…

    Oh El MarvelOso, you beat me to it. When I moved to NYC 12 years ago and went to the Roxy, I would see John Norris EVERY SINGLE TIME i went.

     
  • At 3:38 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    Wow, you are a big nerd!!! :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home