dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Friday, January 25, 2008

The Week That Was: January 25, 2008

It's been pouring rain here all week -- which I love -- and yesterday I trekked out in it to grab some magazines. But I wasn't expecting the speed at which the Heath Ledger cover stories would hit newstands: two days!

I think it's a cryin' shame. I saw 10 Things I Hate About You in the movie theater nine years ago, as I did Four Feathers, Monster's Ball and Brokeback Mountain (twice!). I must admit, I skipped A Knight's Tale and The Patriot. But not that it all means anything. I guess when these things happen, folks just want to find some way to relate to the tragic events.

But, being gay, Brokeback Mountain will always resonate as a film that changed attitudes and, really, the times. As much as it had nothing to do with music, I couldn't help blog about it two years ago. You just couldn't escape the climate of that film then. Heath Ledger was very much one of the main reasons for that.

And the cynics and haters can kiss it. It's a damn shame to see him go.

OTHER STUFF FROM THIS WEEK:

* "Dance Like There's No Tomorrow," the Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson single, hit iTunes. That's some good ol'-fashioned pop.

* Natasha Bedingfield's sophomore U.S. album, Pocketful Of Sunshine, was also released. Three songs are good. It might be a grower.

* The Los Angeles Times ran an editorial on Tuesday called "EMI's Change In Tune." Here's an interesting bit:
Consumers are entertaining themselves outside the industry's reach, influenced by peers instead of marketing dollars. If the major record companies can't count on hit albums selling enough copies to subsidize a whole roster of money-losing artists, how much longer will Hollywood be able to generate a summer blockbuster that can cover for several expensive flops? What will box-office grosses and home video sales look llike when people can download a high-definition movie in as little time as it takes to featch a song online today?
* According to the new issue of In Touch Weekly, which is what I ran out to buy yesterday before stumbling on the Heath Ledger magazine covers, Britney Spears' next single will be "Hot As Ice." (Forgive me, Britneyphiles, if this is common knowledge already.)

* Hey, some good news: Chart Rigger turned three! Even better, Chart Rigger mascots, Miss Pussy and Cracker -- perhaps the harshest judges of all -- approve of my liking Cascada's "What Hurts The Most" cover.

Here's a clip of them strutting around to it:

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

  • At 2:14 PM, Blogger duanemoody.com said…

    I kind of like Paula's new song too; even if it doesn't sound like her at all.

     
  • At 5:22 PM, Anonymous What Orangutans the Most said…

    That clip is too cute! Your cats are freaking adorable. :-)

     
  • At 3:34 AM, Blogger Tasty Travels said…

    where's the vacuum when you need it??

     
  • At 5:20 AM, Blogger xolondon said…

    I think that is actually a clip of one cat eating toilet paper while the other looks on in disapproval!

    Really though, your cats would wear pink leotards or white disco suits if they could. I can see it in their (cat) eyes.

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger Mike said…

    Paula's new song is great - nothing gets me going like a dance tune by a middle aged diva. Fingers crossed for equally age inappropriate clothing in the video!

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    Yeah, I listened to the clips of Natasha's album on iTunes and wasn't impressed at all...I still love "Pocketful of Sunshine" (the song), though.

     
  • At 1:38 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Moody Duane, yes, it does tend to sound like a cracked-out android... in other words, exactly like Paula, luv.

    WOTM, I know, right!?

    TT, the cats got Dustvac'd out of the kitchen just this morning, when Other Mommy was making an omellette and they were being needy.

    XO, it was actually stuffing/padding from a package. Their packages from KittyWigs.com will be arriving any day now, since you mention it.

    Mike, and I love the age-inappropriate lyrics, too, about wanting to go out and slut her way through Hollywood. Who does she think she is, Dakota Fanning?

    PG, I went to see Cloverfield last night -- surprisingly good! -- and listened to Pocketful Of Sunshine the whole way home... it's definitely growing on me. You're right, the title track is great, as are "Put Your Arms Around Me," "Piece Of Your Heart" and "Say It Again." In more disturbing news, "Soulmate" is growing on me, too!

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger El MarvelOso said…

    Love you cats! We would have a cat, but Ein Oso is allergic to them. Oh well. Goodbye Kitty.

    And for the Randy song with Paula: "Insert vocalist here ______."

    The track is okay, but the vocal performance is almost all effects. And I have to say Paul's never sounded better! (yes, technology has improved tremendously since "straight up").

    Overall, I don't like the song. The melody isn't a good melody.

     
  • At 6:21 AM, Blogger Adem With An E said…

    Thank you for posting the covers d'luvly one; managed to find the Entertainment Weekly issue on ebay for a reasonable price and have since snapped it up thanks to you, no luck on the People one though.

    I really don't have a problem with the Paula song, it's trashtastic!

    I love your pussies PS ;)

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOVE LOVE LOVE the vid of the kitties............more please....but let's get Cracker in the STAR role! ;-)

    Mark

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Morris said…

    Thank you for your article, pretty worthwhile material.
    here | link | here

     

Post a Comment

<< Home