dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Delightful Look Back At When Paula Abdul's Pop Career Bit The Dust


Hey, remember how Paula Abdul had that third flop album in 1995, with "My Love Is For Real," which totally ripped off Kylie Minogue's "Confide In Me," and then she ironically co-wrote Kylie's "Spinning Around" with 37 other people, but never really worked again till American Idol?

Good times. Paula and Randy Jackson's "Dance Like Tomorrow" debuts on Billboard's Hot 100 chart this week at #80, making it her first single to chart since '95's "Crazy Cool."

I always kinda liked "Crazy Cool," if I'm being honest, and I thought it deserved to chart higher than #58. You know, somewhere around #49 would have been good. But it's crazycool to think back to how many hits she had between 1989 and 1992 -- including six #1 singles -- and then how quickly she disappeared.

Guess it's like grandma used to say to me when I'd twirl off to choir practice: when you've got a voice thinner than a chihuahua's crotch, America is quick to flush you off to the land of has-beens.

Good old granny. Anyway, here's "Crazy Cool":



Elsewhere on the chart, Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown's "No Air" jumps from #23 to #13 after a week of solid airplay gains, and Mariah Carey's "Touch My Body" hops into the Top 40 at #34.

Also, Sara Bareilles' "Love Song" is at #4! How'd that happen? I'm still not quite sick of it yet, despite it being completely overplayed.

The U.S. Top 10:

1. "Low" - Flo Rida feat. T-Pain *10 weeks*
2. "With You" - Chris Brown
3. "Don't Stop The Music" - Rihanna
4. "Love Song" - Sara Bareilles
5. "No One" - Alicia Keys
6. "Apologize" - Timbaland feat. OneRepublic
7. "Sensual Seduction" - Snoop Dogg
8. "Take You There" - Sean Kingston
9. "Independent" - Webbie, Lil' Phat & Lil' Boosie
10. "Sorry" - Buckcherry

Labels: , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger John said…

    Ah, Paula. I did love me some "Knocked Out", and "My Love Is For Real" was sadly overlooked. I'm genuinely glad for her success now, but I'm going to be listening through my hands over my ears when the full CD drops. You know some hot mess will end up on that CD!

     
  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger Dan said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 5:33 PM, Blogger Dan said…

    I have always had a soft spot for "Vibeology." It's not the greatest song in the world, but "HORNY HORNS!" gets stuck in my head like you would not believe.

    (edited so that the damn comment made grammatical sense.)

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger Kenneth Walsh said…

    !!!

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    Brilliant about Sara B. Give that girl some cash money!

    As for Paula, she is a rare case of a person actually becoming tackier and less stylish as she is. She also seemed much less tragic and crazy back then.

    I like her album she did with Family Stand. Not bad.

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Blogger Cristián said…

    Couldn't agree more. Completely overlooked single back then. Even at least for the sake of the art direction in the photography of the album and its related singles (don't they look stylishly current as if shot by Mario Testino last week?), it should have deserved a better fate in the history of pop music.

    And also, yes, please return "My Love Is For Real" to Kylie, will you Paula?

     
  • At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The "CrazyCool" video was banned by MTV because they said Paula was masturbating with the cane in one of the scenes. Of course Madonna fingering herself years earlier in "Express Yourself" seemed to be o.k. Back then when MTV was through with you it was all over.

     
  • At 12:46 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    what is it with the names of acts in the top ten? Webbie? L'il Phat? Flo Rida? My spell check is exploding!

    PS - remember when Paula said "bastard" on the 90210 soundtrack song "Bend Time Back Around"? She was so bad ass

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    Please let us have a new #1 soon. Something. Anything.

    Well, anything except the next Flo Rida single.

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    John, well, don't expect good things from the Randy Jackson CD... it's godawful. The Paula track is the only good one.

    Dan, see, everyone loved/s "Vibeology," and I couldn't stand it when it was out. Though, it does remind me of a fun period of Christmas break my senior of high school.

    Kenneth, well, I'm not too fond of Tchk Tchk Tchk myself... I'm more of an LCD Soundsystem kinda guy.

    XO, Sara's definitely making cash money... that song has been used more times than a snot rag at a funeral.

    Cristian, I was thinking exactly that... how stylish it still looks today... especially when paired up against something like, oh, I don't know, the Heidi Montag "Higher" video!

    Anonymous, now way!? I never knew that. But yeah, MTV was the only game in town back then. Funny how things change.

    Paul, never had the 90210 soundtrack, but lame rapper names in the Top 10 is nothing new. Soulja Boy, babe.... Soulja Boy.

    Poster Girl, there will be... it'll probably be Usher's new one.

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    Crazy Cool was always a favorite... Her thin voice really complemented the song well. Unfortunately, I was in my TLC or nothing phase back then (I was 14!!!) so I was truly annoyed that she had copped the title from TLC's CD CrazySexyCool (she even goes "Crazy cool... sexy" in the song which to my little teeny bopper heart was PURELY outrageous!!)

     
  • At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Chris said…

    Doesn't Paula look just like Stacey Q in this video?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home