dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Entertainment Weekly Is Nasty, Miss Jackson

Chyldren of Janet, you might want to shield your tender eyes whilst perusing the new issue of Entertainment Weekly: "It's more agony than ecstasy on Discipline, the star's latest effort," EW warns. Damita no!! Surely, after 20 Y.O. saw some diehard JJ fans down gallons of Ajax in tortured shame over the diva's bland output, she wouldn't dare let them down again.

Here's what the rag has to say:
If you thought the 41-year-old Jackson, not unlike Madonna and Prince, would drop the nympho schtick and embrace more age-appropriate songwriting and production instead of competing with the Beyoncés and Rihannas of today...you'd be wrong.

...Jackson scuttles the maturing process and regresses even further to the creepy, X-rated lyrics that weighed down 2004's Damito Jo.

Only a few midtempo grooves ("Curtains") and schmaltzy ballads ("Never Letchu Go") are thrown into the mix, leaving Discipline heavy on forced, forgettable dance cuts (like "The 1," featuring Missy Elliott). Indeed, though Jackson boasts in "Feedback" that her swagger is "heavy like a first day period," it's more like a bloody mess.
Speaking of which, Rolling Stone has news about the new Madonna record, after being previewed five of the album's tracks:
The new album takes a few steps away from the hyper-polished future disco of Confessions toward a more urban-oriented, thumpy funk, featuring production by Timbaland and Pharrell, as well as collaborations with Justin Timberlake. Danja says he worked on the album in London, and that Madonna indicated “she just wanted uptempo, dance, club [sounds] and everything to have a hip-hop underlining.” He adds that Madonna was easy-going and frequently in the studio putting in long hours alongside himself, Timbaland and Timberlake: “She would come in and sit in her chair in the corner and just vibe with us.”
Read the full Janet Jackson review here and Madonna article here.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

  • At 5:36 PM, Blogger John said…

    I love what I've heard, but with a line like "...period", you're leaving yourself WIDE open (like she hasn't done that before). I still pre-ordered it, though. Rollin' the dice...

     
  • At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That EW review was really rough. Now, I love me some sensual and sexual music, but Janet just turns the notch up way too high into Ick-dom. Her interludes especially are pure nonsense.

    If she got rid of those and toned down the sex-crazed vibes, she would probably have a shot at pre-Damita Jo success. This is the first JJ album I'm not buying. Feedback, Rock With U and Luv are crap. She just isn't trying hard enough. Besides, I'm still recovering from the last two stinkers...

     
  • At 6:56 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    you lost me when you called my beloved EW a rag :P

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger MrBrady said…

    Showing my naivite, I thought "heavy like a first day period" was something to do with school! D'oh! I really like "Feedback". Janet's never been much of an album artiste, post "Control" - which was really a 'hits' compilation in the end...

     
  • At 12:26 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Mr. B, what a coincidence! I was literally just skimming through every page of posts on the PopDance forum... oh, the memories and the pain in the arses ;^)

    Paul, hey, I've had a subscription on and off since 1994!

    Anonymous, I just someone would f*** her properly so she could get it out of her system. Hey, Janet, I have an electric toothbrush you can borrow...?

    John, EW is off sometimes. I recall them trashing Ace Of Base's The Sign back in the day (blasphemers!!), which went on to become the best-selling album that year. That doesn't mean it was a good album, just that the reviewer should be sodomized by leprechauns.

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Blogger xolondon said…

    Loved the bloody mess comment in EW's Janet review. I am surprised they printed that! I heard a few more songs and much of it is the usual obsession with dick size and cooch wetness. Seriously! And 2Nite SOOOO wants to be Together Again and cannot come close. That said, it's a vast improvement over 20YO.

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    Not coming out with an album would have been a vast improvement over 20YO too - so that's not saying too much!

    That being said, this album is on an upward swing for Janet, musically. Feedback is fantastic and I really like "The Greatest Ex" - but what is her obsession with her exes? ("Thinkin' About My Ex" of All 4 You, etc.)

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    rags... periods.. bloody messes... Did someone get a nasty visit from Aunt Flo today?

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger absoluterik said…

    Hello

    I love your blog.

    Can I add a link to your blog on my blog?
    I am also a best male blogger
    :)
    Which title and url do you want me to add?


    May be you will also like my blog, and that you will
    want to support the cause the blog supports:"restoring
    Love". You can also add a link in your blog.
    www.restoringlove.com


    Do not hesitate to give me your opinion and feedback,


    :)



    Kisses and Hughs



    Erik


    member of
    http://best-gay-bloggers-blog.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home