dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

This Duffy Broad Seems Like A Pain In The Ass

Oh, just yanking your tassles! Personally I love that Amy Winehouse took off the homeless Russian prostitute drag and is now calling herself Duffy. Her new single, "Mercy" [Watch video] is #1 in the U.K. (Although, I don't think it's very fair that these skinny, zonked-out dames keep topping charts and winning Grammys while true, raw talent like Cascada and Heidi Montag is universally panned.)

At #7 comes H Two O's "What's It Gonna Be," which has to be the most nettlesome club track since 2004's "Baby Cakes" by 3 Of A Kind.



And then there's The Feeling. It's a funny thing; two years ago I couldn't get enough of this British pop/rock band, and last year Chart Rigger even served up a rather super duper interview with singer Dan Gillespie Sells. So this week, The Feeling's "I Thought It Was Over" creeps into the Top 10 at #9, but I completely forgot they even had anything new out.

Nevertheless, "I Thought It Was Over" becomes Dan and co.'s fourth U.K. Top 10 single, and ties the peak position of "Never Be Lonely" at #9 to share their "second highest-charting song" category, behind "Sewn" (#7).

Right behind The Feeling is Goldfrapp, whose subdued "A & E" moves up to #10. While the track won't be setting anyone's panties on fire at the disco, there's a pleasant-enough remix EP available on iTunes.

Other noteworthy singles: Kylie's "Wow" is up to #18 the week before its CD physical availability, Mark Brown and Sarah Cracknell's "The Journey Continues" drops from #11 to #19 (I finally got my copy from Amazon UK this week!) and Morrissey's "That's How People Grow Up" falls from #14 to #36, no doubt giving him something new to be cranky about.

The U.K. Top 10:

1. "Mercy" - Duffy *1 week*
2. "Rockstar" - Nickelback
3. "Now You're Gone" - Basshunter
4. "Sun Goes Down" - David Jordan
5. "Chasing Pavements" - Adele
6. "Don't Stop The Music" - Rihanna
7. "What's It Gonna Be" - H Two O feat. Platinum *new*
8. "Work" - Kelly Rowland
9. "I Thought It Was Over" - The Feeling
10. "A&E" - Goldfrapp

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 2:34 AM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    That Amy Winehouse/'60's sound seems like it's everywhere now--even Sweden has at least two of its own versions now, as does Eurovision and its national finals.

    I bet if you lived in the UK, you wouldn't have been able to forget about that Feeling single--"I Thought It Was Over" was all over radios, right?

    I don't think I get the love for that remix of Kelly Rowland's "Work"...maybe it's something I'd have to hear a few times for it to click.

     
  • At 3:16 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    I'm mildly disappointed but not surprised that the feeling didn't chart higher - from memory, most of their singles (bar Sewn - higher, and Rose - much lower) charted around the number ten position. I think people are probably hanging on for the album which drops today (Monday). PPG - you are right, they have been all over the radio in the past two weeks, but fairly low key before that. I listened to the album on the way to work and i love it already.

    The Amy invasion continues. I do love a bit of mercy - i didn't even realise it was out as a single yet, but i guess it is! I slightly prefer this song to the more maudlin Chasing Pavements, but the sound is very popular right now, and somewhat addictive.

    Hopefully Kylie will rocket up the charts by Sunday with her best song in AGES. Even some of the b sides are quite delicious. And yay for David Jordan creeping up to number four while his album soars higher. Sadly his album doesn't quite match the potential of the firsts two singles though it is a pleasant enough affair if you liked Charles and Eddie...

     
  • At 7:03 AM, Blogger John said…

    Paul, thanks for evoking Charles and Eddie. Minor one-hit wonders, but still, it was good stuff.

    Was listening to Sirius OutQ over the weekend, and Larry Flick (whom I have a love/hate relationship with...from a distance, of course) featured an interview with Duffy. I wasn't feeling her as much as Adele, but now I'm going to have to check it out.

    He also played the one-two punch of "Wow" and Robyn's "Handle Me". Just the fact that somewhere in America those songs got played back-to-back gives me a little hope. I actually am starting to have a little optimism that "Wow" might actually do something here, given a little bit of promotion. If "Calabria" can get some airplay (WTF?), then there's got to be a little room on a couple of playlists.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home