dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Throwback, Spring 1993: Don't Walk Away, Boy

In suburbia. March 1993.

Spring 1993 brings back some pretty chipper, innocent memories -- one of which was the It's about f***ing time! thaw after the so-called Storm Of The Century buried the east coast of the U.S. under several feet of snow that March. I was a freshman college student at the time, and I shacked up watching videos at a friend's house during the stormy weather since classes had been canceled.

In the photo above is 19-year-old D'luv in front of a neighbor's car that week. Hard to beleive that sexy outfit alone didn't melt the snow.

Once that shit did finally melt, it seemed to coincide with a string of sunny pop songs that flooded radio throughout the spring: Jeremy Jordan's "The Right Kind Of Love," PM Dawn's "Looking Through Patient Eyes" (which I never realized Cathy Dennis did the female vocals on till about a month ago) and this one, Jade's "Don't Walk Away":



Gotta love how Jade's image was "street ho," while their vocals and lyrics belie a much softer side. One them is even a gospel singer now.

"Don't Walk Away," which peaked at #4 on Billboard's Hot 100, will always remind me of sitting outside the house in a lawn chair my last spring as teenager, listening to the radio and taping all the songs I liked. Days were spent throwing together a video commercial for a fictional product we had to come up with in Mass Communications. Evenings were spent drinking iced tea with friends at Eat 'n Park. A young, hip President had recently taken office and there seemed to be so many suburban possibilities back then.

On the flip side, I walked into K-mart on April 19, 1993, to pick up a roll of film in the electronics department. There were about two dozen TV screen by the cash register broadcasting the same jarring image of a massive fire on the news. It was the day the FBI triggered the events of the fire at the ranch of the Branch Davidian sect after a 51-day standoff in Waco, Texas. Something about watching the televised seige in the middle of a crowded store will never leave me.

I'd subsequently go on to write my 20-page English term paper that semester on David Koresh's cult. I got an A.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

  • At 9:10 PM, Anonymous shaun said…

    "Don't Walk Away" and "Patient Eyes" were jams, and I remember them lingering on the charts forEVER, much to my pleasure, of course. That "Ways of the Wind" single that followed "Patient Eyes" wasn't so bad either...

    Thanks for the memories...I have such vivid ones of that storm...I remember taking my cat to safety just before the first flakes started to fall--there was an unbelievable electricity in the air...like the winter equivalent of a hurricane.

    Finally, Cathy Dennis??? Who knew???

     
  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger Yuяi said…

    Dang, D'luv, I had no clue about Cathy Dennis on PM's track! Get outta here!

    "Don't Walk Away" was indeed the jam! Ah, the memories!

    And hoo-rah for the mushy posts!

     
  • At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Neka said…

    Love this track! Next you'll be posting some Brownstone...

     
  • At 11:33 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    Napoleon Dynamite is looking fierce in that pic!

     
  • At 8:18 AM, Blogger Adem With An E said…

    I was quite young when Waco went down, but I do remember it being all over the news for a VERY long time here in Australia, and I always associated the name Janet Reno with the incident.

    After reading over that Wiki entry, now I know why. Her name would have been all over those news reports. I'm glad I've read that entry now though because I'd never completely known what happened and never followed it up when I got older; I do recall having a fear of hearing the words "Waco" and "Texas" for a while though. I gotta admit, I was easily scared as a child; I remember my singing teacher as a child getting me to sing "What A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong and telling me that he was dead. For 2 months I was convinced he was hiding in our backyard and was waiting for night to come so he could kill me for singing his song.

    Amazing what you remember.

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger xolondon said…

    I remember the Koresh thing the day it happened (and Oklahoma and the first Trade Center bomb). It was the early days of my job - I still work in the same place, though I have clawed and charmed my way up the ladder.

    Was this the era of Shai and Jodeci too? I think they may be about then as well.

     
  • At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Robbie, let me first apologize as this comment has nothing to do with this post, but with your Music Update on Towleroad.

    I always thought of you as a huge Mariah hater (and I'm guessing I wasn't too far from the truth until recently), but your little essay on 'coming out' as a Mariah liker was quite an eye-opener. I've always believed that even the most hardcore haters -- especially those snarky Madonna fans -- actually do like some of her music.

    Anyway, welcome to the club, and I hope (and know) MC won't let you down with the new album. I hope you will slowly entertain the idea of buying her earlier albums because there are a whole lot of gems that you're missing out with the Greatest Hits. (I do hope you bought the 2-disc GH and not the #1s album?)

    In all seriousness and honesty, I would recommend Butterfly as your first album purchase (before or after E=MC^2 of course). Butterfly is to MC what the Velvet Rope is to Janet - a career defining album. Alright, before I launch into an essay, thanks again for your post. Enjoy the music! -- Jimmy

     
  • At 8:04 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    I agree with Jimmy - Butterfly is my favorite Mariah CD. The execution was just right for the times, and where she was currently in her life at the moment.

    That being said... OMG JADE! I love that song. That's the jam with the Jade answer machine acapella intro right??????? "We'll get back to youu... to youuuu... to youuuuuuu"

     
  • At 1:11 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Shaun, no prob! Yeah, there was that storm and one about three months before it, in November '92 -- remember that one?

    Yuri, yeah, it surprised me when I read it on Wikipedia, then I did a bit of digging and saw it was indeed her. Great tunes.

    Neka, someone else said the same thing to me yesterday (in person)!

    Mike, always...

    Adem, it was a strange event to witness on the TV screen every night. It lasted quite awhile.

    XO, yes! OMG...Shai!! And...Snow! "Informer"!

    Jimmy, there's no hate here for any artist ever...just a lot of ribbing. Even the ones that I rail against the most often have certain tracks I enjoy. Thanks for commenting and reading. THe Mariah post on Towleroad really drummed up some controversy, which I love :P

    Joshua, alright, perhaps I'll have to capture the Butterfly after two recommendations in a row. And, yeah, same song -- my love won't hurt you.

     
  • At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Erik said…

    Very helpful piece of writing, much thanks for this article.
    4 | , | 2

     
  • At 10:25 PM, Blogger xjd7410@gmail.com said…

Post a Comment

<< Home