dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Can You Believe Danity Kane Have Another Hit?

As much as I'm tired of typing about this dame, the big news is that, post-Oprah, Leona Lewis' "Bleeding Love" jumped into the Top 10 of Billboard's Hot 100 -- the only single to do so this week. "Bleeding Love" is at #8, trumping the peak position of Amy Winehouse's "Rehab" (#9), which was the last U.S. Top 10 single by a British artist.

Like Barack Obama sneaking up behind an unsuspecting Hillary Clinton and ripping off her skirt (you know, if she were to ever actually wear one), Leona thus far has fulfilled the prophecy of becoming "the next Mariah Carey," by completely leapfrogging over Mariah this year. Mimi's "Touch My Body" moves up two spots to #14, and I can't help feeling that her label was too slow on the draw in getting the song onto iTunes. "Bleeding Love" sold 120,000 downloads last week.

Now for the dark secret I've been harboring for weeks: I actually like Danity Kane's "Damaged," which is this week's Hot Shot Debut at #64. Does that make me a pole-dancing slut? (Please, God, say it does!!)

I like everything about this trash track -- from the overabundance of synths and the over-produced vocals to the silver hot pants in the video. These strippers are shaping up to be this country's version of their whored-out, TV-show-assembled U.K. counterparts, Girls Aloud.

Here's the vid for "Damaged":

The U.S. Top 10:

1. "Love In This Club" - Usher Feat. Young Jeezy *3 weeks*
2. "With You" - Chris Brown
3. "Low" - Flo Rida Feat. T-Pain
4. "Love Song" - Sara Bareilles
5. "Don't Stop The Music" - Rihanna
6. "No Air" - Jordin Sparks Duet With Chris Brown
7. "Sexy Can I" - Ray J & Young Berg *airplay gainer*
8. "Bleeding Love" - Leona Lewis *sales gainer*
9. "Apologize" - Timbaland Feat. OneRepublic
10. "Superstar" - Lupe Fiasco Feat. Matthew Santos

Labels: , , ,


  • At 11:16 AM, Anonymous when the caterpussy's crawling said…

    I love the close-up face stroking, reminiscent of a pre-insanity Brit Brit.

    They should cover Rebbie Jackson!

    Viva Danity Kane!!

  • At 12:30 PM, Anonymous henry-lee said…

    I really hate them but this song is actually great.

  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    I didn't think much of "Damaged" when it first came out, but I've really been liking it recently. But then that could just be because I'm easily distracted by bright colors and shiny outfits.

  • At 3:36 PM, Blogger RobbetoHJ said…

    I Love Danity Kane. I am not ashamed to admit it. It makes me clean.

    Really clean. This is the year of the girlband.

    PayTV, Girls Aloud, LoveShy, The Saturdays, RedBlooded Women, PussyCat Dolls(The RETURN!) and The Electric Dolls. Oooooh what it does mean for that Clinton bird everyone is harping on about!

  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger RobbetoHJ said…

    And leona's american success is "amaaaaaaaaaazzziiiiiiiing"

  • At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Bleeding Love" is great, Leona Lewis is great. D-luv sucks. The end.

  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger duanemoody.com said…

    While I like Damaged, the rest of the Danity Kane album isn't good. In fact, I was surprised, because their debut was amazing. Girls Aloud they are NOT; GA are consistently good.

  • At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Orangutan Killed the Radio Star said…

    D'luv's become a pole-dancing slut?! Please tell me that now you'll be donning a wig and auditioning for "Rock Of Love 3"!

  • At 6:26 PM, Blogger MrBrady said…

    I too love "Damaged".. as long as I switch it off thirty seconds before it finishes so I don't have to hear that ridiculous bloke talking over it!

  • At 6:55 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    That is the grossest girl group video I have ever seen, including tAtU's lesbionic kiss music video, and TLC's Unpretty - which means I LOVE IT.

    And why that sudden turn into Grey's Anatomy in the last third of the video? It's SO random and does not even fit the rest of the video at all!

  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger John said…

    The song is really good, but yeah, the ending of the video would have been much better if they'd busted out of his chest a la "Aliens". I'd pay good money to see THAT.

  • At 6:46 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    I'm still in a mood that Damaged isn't a cover of the ace Shayne Ward song, which reminded me that i'm in a mood over Simon Cowell not making any effort to launch Shayne Ward in the US. Stupid Leona. Whose singles i really like :) PS D'luv - the fact that you thought you weren't already a stripper type ho is really cute :P

  • At 11:38 AM, Blogger Joshua said…

    What the heck?!!

    I think my friend secretly reads this blog - he just performed Bleeding Love/Damages medley in drag last night!?!?!?!? I was visibly shocked, I had no idea what he was doing until he did it!

  • At 12:06 PM, Anonymous PJW said…

    Mariah is sitting pretty right now.

    Leona Lewis may well be at No.8 on the Hot 100 but after only 5 weeks on the chart and a combination of Airplay and sales getting her to that spot, it's not an amazing feat.

    Mariah, on the other hand, is at No.14 on airplay alone in her fifth week on the chart. Don't be surprised when she blows everyone else out the water.

  • At 2:42 AM, Anonymous pjw said…

    My bad. Leona's accomplishment is truly noteworthy, and on this week's Hot 100, Bleeding Love" has ascended to #1. Not much promotion, not a ton of airplay until the past few weeks. This one has earned it's stripes. Leona gets a "real" #1, while next week, Mariah will get yet another "manufactured #1."


Post a Comment

<< Home