dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Estelle And Sam Sparro Take Madonna From Both Ends On Easter Sunday

An new U.K. #1 single this week!

I've thought Estelle's "American Boy" is a hot jam since it was made available on U.S. iTunes at the end of January. Kanye West's rap at the beginning is suprisingly not that annoying, but then he kind of overtakes the song halfway through -- and even spits out the word "rubbish" -- and it's time to tune out.

Regardless, off the strength of downloads ahead of a physical CD single release, "American Boy" has ended the five-week reign of Duffy's "Mercy" at the top of the U.K. singles chart this week.

Madonna and Justin Timberlake's horn-riddled toetapper "4 Minutes" also enters the Top 10 based on downloads, at #7. This is just a solid, much-needed pop song for the times, and I gotta admit, Madge did right by letting go of the reigns for her comeback. And by that I mean she only used the strap-on with Justin until he cried.

Elsewhere, Girls Aloud's "Can't Speak French" only scrapes up to #9, but I'm not gonna say anything bad about that pack of transvestites -- I actually like them this album.

And speaking of transvestites, that Sam Sparro character everyone's crowing about makes a cameo at #23 with "Black & Gold." Sam's video made with Universal's money is classy, but let's hope for his sake that the crap-trash clips like this one that he made before the major label disappear quietly soon.

Finally, HAPPY EASTER!

The U.K. Top 10:

1. "American Boy" - Estelle Feat. Kanye West *1 week*
2. "Mercy" - Duffy
3. "Better In Time/Footprints In The Sand" - Leona Lewis
4. "Stop And Stare" - OneRepublic
5. "Rockstar" - Nickelback
6. "Low" - Flo Rida Feat. T-Pain
7. "4 Minutes" - Madonna Feat. Justin Timberlake *new*
8. "Something Good '08" - Utah Saints
9. "Can't Speak French" - Girls Aloud
10. "What's It Gonna Be" - H Two O feat. Platinum

Labels: , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    I know I'm way late (on two levels) in acknowledging its existence, but I really like "Something Good '08"!

    At first glance at that Sam Sparro cover, I don't like it too much, but then I'm an awful judge of how covers translate to the real actual physical product.

    Happy Easter, D'luv!

     
  • At 8:53 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    "4 Minutes" is the biggest pile of SHIT I've heard in years. Cruella should be suing Timbaland for giving her that crap while Nelly Furtado picked up hot product like "Promiscuous" and "Maneater".

    Sam Sparro doesn't do it for me either but it's nice to see the curse of Flop Justice coming to an end. Strangely, I quite like Estelle's jam. Cunt-ye isn't even enough to turn me off it!

     
  • At 9:26 PM, Blogger Scooter said…

    I think the original video for Black & Gold was sexier, maybe because it was a little less "produced." Still enjoyed it though. :)

     
  • At 10:58 PM, Blogger Adem With An E said…

    That Sam Sparro cover looks like what happens on photoshop when you click the 'Watercolour' feature in the image editing section. Cheap and nasty! I suppose he can't have an expensive clip AND artwork though, right?

     
  • At 6:22 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    i'm not surprised Estelle is number one. You can't go anywhere without hearing that bloody song. And i didn't even know 4 minutes was available, but i do really like it. A lot.

    And yes to the lifting of the popjustice curse. First Alphabeat and Taio Cruz (awful though he is) and now the quite delectable (to listen to not to look at) Sam Sparro. I suppose if you throw enough shit something is bound to stick. Which is absolutely my philosophy!

     
  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    Oh, I love "Come On Girl" and like both of the songs from him Jessica Poptastic posted...I'm even thinking about getting the album, if I like the preview clips of it!

     
  • At 8:30 AM, Blogger Yuяi said…

    4 Minutes!

    freakyfreaky!

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    are these 3-d glasses retro looking artwork the new black & white face-shot for albums or what????

     
  • At 2:14 PM, Blogger John said…

    That Sam Sparro is a true waste of bandwidth...is that for real? Estelle, however, is pretty solid, although I'm sad she had to sell her soul to Kanye (via John Legend) to get some attention over here in the US. I like Kanye, but damn, that boy would ride a parapalegic leper if got him some more attention.

    BTW, I smell another do-over video for Duffy when "Mercy" gets pushed here, a la Leona. Saying the video is lame is giving it too much credit.

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger DanProject76 said…

    I love Black And Gold but...

    I love Cottonmouth too! The video is really sweet/funy/weird.

     
  • At 6:51 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    Sam's is not as bad a Madonna's cover, let's put it that way. It's not ugly, just a cop out for real art.


    I think I am the only person who does not like the new Estelle tracks. Hate 'em! I preferred her when she was working with Ben Watt and singing about relaxing her hair.

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger ww_adh said…

    Even though Girls Aloud was only #9, at least they beat the Sugababes at #15 for the battle of long in tooth girl groups release latest album's third singles contest. I think "Denial" is quite bland, and I used to love Sugababes.

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Blogger Akea Kamai said…

    Cottonmouth is amazing! Chill...and listen. Then look. Then laugh. It's hilarious...and the song kills.

     
  • At 2:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please let me know your positive

    Madonna

     
  • At 1:48 AM, Blogger 小 Gg said…

Post a Comment

<< Home