dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Ferras' Aliens & Rainbows: The First Great Pop Album Of 2008

Last month I mistakenly wrote that "Hollywood's Not America" by Ferras would be the song played when American Idol contestants get the boot this season. Turns out it was only that one week -- "Hollywood week" -- that it played. But fuck that show. The 25-year-old singer's album, Aliens & Rainbows, was added to iTunes yesterday ahead of its official April 1 release date, and there are so many great jams that I'm officially calling it the year's first great pop LP.

The album was produced by The Matrix, who are responsible for foisting Avril Lavigne and Hilary Duff onto the charts five years ago. Key tracks to check out: "Aliens & Rainbows," "My Beautiful Lie" (sounds like old-school Howard Jones!) and the U2-esque "Something About You."

Ferras has a great sound reminiscent of early Elton John and David Bowie, but even more imporatantly, he has a hot mouth. Say ahhhh, sexy.

Ferras comes from Illinois, but I'd like to throw him over my knee and teach him about L.A. Actually, he's been here as long as I have, and he's probably been bitch-spanked more times than Heidi Montag at an Eliot Spitzer hooker throwdown. Maybe I'll snag him in his sophomore slump.

Here's an EPK on the making of Aliens & Rainbows:

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 3:03 PM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    YES. I agree. Totally and wholeheartedly.

    Do I have to say more?

    "Something About You" is my new anthem, by the way.

     
  • At 5:02 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    Booooo to it on not being available on UK iTunes. Not that i've actually looked but i'm all about assumptions today. Save some spanking for me (not sure whether that means i want to spank ferras or you to spank me!!!!! :P )

     
  • At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You didn't mention Kylie's All I See in the new releases part of your towleroad column.

     
  • At 7:06 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Anonymous, truth be told, Capitol is all over the place with their marketing for this album.

    "2 Hearts" was on iTunes for about three weeks in the fall, then yanked off.

    Then X, the full album, was on all through February and even got into the iTunes Top 40, then was taken off.

    I didn't even catch "All I See" being added. Where's the Mims rap on it?

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger EuropeCrazy said…

    Ooh I'm very impressed by Ferras - I'd never heard of him till Poster Girl pointed me in your direction, but I'm glad I came over and listened to him. He should be a major star.

    Also as they used to say in 'South Park' - "I learned something today". I'd heard of the Matrix before but didn't realise that Gary Clark was part of that team. Those of us of a certain age remember when he was the lead singer in a band called Danny Wilson in the late 1980s and they were fab too :)

     
  • At 1:44 AM, Anonymous shaun said…

    Ferras = yum! I love when D'luv goes all horndog, too..."like to throw him over my knee"...wouldn't we all!

     
  • At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This album and the word "great" don't belong in the same sentence. Maybe you confused this with "Ferris Buehler" or something.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home