dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

I Got The Feeling, But Janet Killed The Mood

Hoo-ray! My two-disc special edition of The Feeling's Join With Us finally arrived today from Amazon, and it's on its third spin right now. Some pundits, like fickle XOLondon, have publicly stated their distaste for this marvelously slick and dreamy pop treasure. (Perhaps Leona Lewis' Spirit would be more up your alley, luv?) I'm not gonna do some long, track-by-track review -- we all know I'm far too lazy for that. And besides, it's not like the album's a total work of art, like A*Teens' ABBA Generation, for instance. But I will say, Dan Gillespie Sells is not afraid to let it be known that he's happier now (and getting boinked).

Speaking of albums, Janet Jackson's Discipline has topped Billboard's Top 200 chart this week. It's her first #1 since 2001's All For You. "Feedback" is also staying put in the Top 10 of the iTunes download chart, so it'll likely jump up on the new Hot 100 that is published tomorrow.

Yeah, I finally got around to listening to Discipline. I like that "2Nite" song and, uh...well, that's it. Mostly, my favorite thing about the whole project is the below picture, where Janet looks like that drowned thing that comes slithering down the steps at the end of The Grudge and every other Japanese horror movie remake. Sexy.

Finally, be sure to shuffle on over to Towleroad today, where I wax lyrical about the wonders of Sally Shapiro, as well as this summer's True Colors Tour featuring Cyndi Lauper and the B-52s.

Labels: , , ,


  • At 11:47 PM, Blogger El MarvelOso said…

    I think Janet's album is going to drop a lot next week.

  • At 3:31 AM, Blogger xolondon said…

    I am not "some pundit" you pre-op tranny hooker! Dan is happy, of course, because he's gettin' it from ME!

  • At 6:01 AM, Blogger Adem With An E said…

    Glad Janet went number 1, this means the binge eating won't kick in just yet.

  • At 10:05 AM, Blogger John said…

    I would have thought the CD would have dropped a ton this week, but it did better than I expected. Just saw the new video for "Rock With U", and it's hot in a retro kinda way. There's hope yet.

  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    So, does anyone know if that robot transexual voice (Janet?) in "Rock With U" is officially borrowing it's hook from Michael Jackson's "Rock With You"? It's not credited in the production notes, but doesn't it sound a bit like it?


Post a Comment

<< Home