dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Friday, March 28, 2008

More British Broads Who Just Missed Hitting #1

I was obsessing over this all goddamn day; I mean, how mindboggling that it's really been 21 years since a solo female artist from the U.K. -- Kim Wilde, with "You Keep Me Hangin' On" -- topped the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart! And thanks to all the cats who chipped in their two cents on the previous post today about this, even the Leo-tards.

Anyway, in said post, I mentioned Nicki French and Donna Lewis both just missed hitting #1 here, peaking in the runner-up position in 1995 and 1996, respectively. So here are some other pop babes from Old Blighty who've sprung to mind since this morning, whose jams came close.

* Lisa Stansfield (pictured above), "All Around The World": How I loved Lisa and her kiss-curl so! I bought this cassette single one frosty Friday night in January while hanging out at the mall. I was 15-going-on-16, and completely mesmerized with Lisa's androgynous image. My friends were just getting their driver's licenses, and this track was one of the many radio hits providing a soundtrack to those weekend nights of aimlessly driving around our suburban Pennsylvania hometown. (#3, January 1990)

* Cathy Dennis, "Touch Me (All Night Long)": I wasn't monogomously- enamored with Lisa Stansfield, and I soon replaced her with Cathy Dennis. Long before Leona Lewis was featured on The Oprah Winfrey Show, I recall rushing home from classes one weekday in 11th grade to videotape Cathy's performance on the talk show. (#2, May 1991)

* Des'ree, "You Gotta Be": This F-ing song! I swear, I heard this for about two years solid every time I turned the radio on in the mid-'90s. I do have some good memories of dating this one hot piece for about five minutes when "You Gotta Be" first came out, and always seeing the video on VH1 at about 1 a.m. when I'd stay over at his apartment on the edge of our college campus. (#5, December 1994)

I guess we can include Natasha Bedingfield's "Unwritten," from two years ago (#5), but that's all I got. Can anyone think of more?

ALSO SEE:
* Chart Rigger's interview with Nicki French (part one)
* Chart Rigger's interview with Nicki French (part two)

Labels: , , , , ,

17 Comments:

  • At 2:48 AM, Blogger Trailer Trashlee said…

    Dido, "Thank You" in 2001...ummm...lemme think....umm....Lolly?!

     
  • At 3:08 AM, Blogger jason said…

    Kylie - Can't Get You Out Of My Head! it should have been a #1 :( it was #1 just about everywhere else.

    it peaked at #7 here, I believe.

     
  • At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    kylie is australian, not british...

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger Cristián said…

    Not in the category "nearly missed" but rather to file under "UK female sensations America completely ignored", I propose to include Yazz (as in "The Only Way Is Up"), and Betty Boo.

     
  • At 10:10 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Jason, to echo Anonymous, Kylie is Australian, though it might seem she's British as she's been based in London for the past 20 years or so.

    Shit, TT, I completely forgot about Dido!

    Cristián, OMG...Betty Boo.

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger Yuяi said…

    Dude, I hadn't realized it's been that long either! How freakin' crazy is that?!

    I love me some Cathy D but didn't bother with Lisa S after the first album.

     
  • At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lisa Stansfield's "All Woman" went to number 1 on Billboard's Black charts.

    EBTG's Missing went to number 2 on the Pop charts.

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Nothing Compares 2 Orangutan said…

    And don't forget Lisa Stansfield was held off by an Irish solo female act, Sinead O'Conner with "Nothing Compares 2 U"

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Seanti said…

    All the Samantha Fox references you've been dropping as of late, and you're not gonna give the ol' hooker her due? Didn't she rack up a #3 hit with "Naughty Girls"?

    I believe Neneh Cherry hit #3 with "Buffalo Stance," as well...

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Seanti, believe it or not, Neneh Cherry was the first one who came to mind... I was halfway through typing up a paragraph about here, then looked her up and saw she was actually born in Stockholm and raised in NYC.

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    The nearly-ran: KT Tunstall (Nos 20 & 21);

    The also-ran: Alison Moyet (Invisible No.31)

    The ran-ran: Mica Paris (My One Temptation No.97)

     
  • At 1:08 AM, Blogger jester1436 said…

    How could anyone forget Billie Piper's lone US single and almost top 40 hit "She Wants You"?

    HOW I ASK YOU?

    And of course Sophie Ellis-Bextor's failed attempt to launch "Murder On The Dancefloor" as a US single.

     
  • At 2:22 AM, Blogger jason said…

    oops. i always think of kylie as british.. she may as well be... lol. at the Brits this year she said it was amusing to win 'Best Inernational Female' when she lived right down the road... haha.

    I can't believe someone brought up Billie PIper... hahahaha.

    Honey to the Bee is a classic <3

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger Nasty G said…

    I too was absolutely disbelieving that no Brit female has topped the US charts since Kim. But damn if it ain't true. In fact, very few have even hit the top ten since! Indeed, Dido reached number 3, and let's not forget Sonique's It Feels So Good, which reached #8, and Amy Winehouse's Rehab. But Sade and Annie Lennox had a lot less success than I thought on the Billboard charts when I looked into it, and I could have sworn Tasmin Archer's Sleeping Satellite was a top ten song, but itonly made it to #32!

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Jester, and while we're at it, how tragic that Kim Wilde's best song, "You Came," peaked just outside the U.S. Top 40, at #41!

    Nasty G, Tasmine Archer rawked!! Shit, that makes me think of Sunscreem (Sunscream?), too -- "Love U More." And, yeah, shocking that Annie Lennox's highest-charting U.S. hit (and only Top 10) was her duet cover with Al Green of "Put A Little Love In Your Heart" in 1988. "Walking On Broken Glass" only made it to #12...another mindbloggler, considering how much it was played when it was released.

    Another almost was -- though it was a duet -- Dusty Springfield and Pet Shop Boys' "What Have I Done To Deserve This" (#2 in 1988).

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    What about B*Witched? :( Top 10 with C'est La Vie... I loved them.....

     
  • At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Zackary said…

    Wow, there's so much worthwhile information here!
    generic vardenafil | Phentermine 37.5 | weight loss pills

     

Post a Comment

<< Home