dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Monday, April 14, 2008

Sam Sparro and Estelle Are The Mariah And Madonna Of The U.K. Chart

Sam Sparro (below right) did BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge Friday, performing both "Black And Gold" and a cover of Estelle's "American Boy." Estelle and Sam are #1 and #2 this week, respectively, on the U.K. chart.

Meanwhile, the Mariah Carey and Madonna chart battle continues abroad, as it does in the States, and even Entertainment Weekly weighs in on the scuffle between the two pop powerhouses in a piece titled "Mariah Carey Vs. Madonna: Total Eclipse Of The Charts."

EW also favorably reviews Mimi's E=MC², though it brands the second single, "Bye Bye," a "somber elegy," and one of the set's "missteps."

Perhaps lost in all this swizzly-twizzle is the breakthrough of Swede doll September's "Cry For You," at #9. The song, which borrows from Bronski Beat's "Smalltown Boy," debuts this week on downloads alone, with a physical U.K. CD single released Monday.

Here's the souped-up vid, which differs from the original 2006 clip used when "Cry For You" was released in Sweden:



And finally, after 15 hours of traveling, I'm back home. It was a nice week and a half in Italy, but, damn, is that Zurich to L.A. flight a pain in the ass!

The U.K. Top 10:

1. "American Boy" - Estelle Feat. Kanye West *4 weeks*
2. "Black And Gold" - Sam Sparro
3. "Low" - Flo Rida Feat. T-Pain
4. "4 Minutes" - Madonna Feat. Justin Timberlake
5. "Touch My Body" - Mariah Carey
6. "Mercy" - Duffy
7. "Always There Where I Need To Be" - The Kooks
8. "Better In Time/Footprints In The Sand" - Leona Lewis
9. "Cry For You" - September *new*
10. "With You" - Chris Brown

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    I'm SO pleased for September, though I have to admit that I don't love this UK remix of the song (as much)--though I can understand why they used it, it...loses some of its heart for me. The video is very glossy, though, and for the look and sales pitch they were going for, it's great.

    It's good to hear you're back in the U.S. with your flight home (presumably) having gone well.

     
  • At 7:03 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    it's good to have you back home - i assume you flew first clASS>>??

    Ah the UK charts - I'm with PG on the remix of Cry For You - not exactly the best presentation of the song that i have heard. And why she couldn't have plumped for something more up to date is beyond me. To me it sends a message that says "my new stuff isn't as good!!"

    It's Mariah's 16th top 5 hit here. I doubt that breaks any Elvis/Beatles records but it's still a decent run of singles! The song is such a grower. I am warming to it more and more each day. I don't think Bye Bye is a misstep at all, i do love it so. Take That beloved entertainment weekly!

    Yay for The Black Kids debuting at 11. I ignored all the bloggy hype, then heard the single and fell in love with it. And sigh to Elliot Minor all the way down at 22. My new mcflyalikes are destined never to get above 17. Be interesting to see where Britney and LAst Shadow Puppets race to next week when physical release hits the shops!

     
  • At 8:07 AM, Blogger Yuяi said…

    Glad to have you back in the good ole USA, D'luv. Those transatlantic flights can be a bitch. Hopefully it was lessened a bit by being in 1st class?

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Blogger Adem With An E said…

    I agree on the September remix; both new version and new video are nowhere near as good as the originals, but it's STILL good to see September doing well.

    I'm still overplaying the original though, and will re-chart that version in my end of year chart, regardless of it already being on a previous years one.

    PS: Loved your holiday snaps, glad you're home safe :)

     
  • At 6:26 PM, Blogger John said…

    This version of "Cry For You" sounds very Girls Aloud-ish, so it makes sense. But the biggest revelation for me on this chart? No more freakin' Nickleback!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home