dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Throwback: Rage, "Run To You"

Poster Girl did a post today mentioning Bryan Adams' "Run To You," which prompted me to recall early '90s U.K. dance act Rage (or En-Rage as they became) and their 1992 rave-tastic take on the '80s classic. This was a track I didn't discover till 10 years later, when I painstakingly made a 12-disc Eurodance compilation covering the decade from 1992 to 2002.

I spent the better part of '02 scouring used record stores and eBay for '90s dance compilations, and found "Run To You" on a 2-disc one from Germany called Viva Europop!



Chilly, mechanical music to my ears! And to think, I was an oblivious 18-year-old schlepping across campus one month into my college freshman year when this classy jam was out.

There's not much out there on Rage or this track, but I did find the following bit of info on a site about one of the original songwriters, Jim Vallance:
"Essentially, in the studio En-rage consisted of producers Barry Leng and Duncan Hannant, plus vocalist Tony Jackson. Leng and Hannant were also behind the group E'Voke, who released a successful dance version of John Waite's "Missing You".

Tony Jackson's voice was already well-know in the UK due to his work as a session singer on a number of popular television commercials, including Libby's Umbongo Juice and a Levi jeans commercial that used 'I Heard it Through The Grapevine'. Jackson passed away in 2001."
Rage's version of "Run To You" peaked at #3 on the U.K. chart in October '92. Surprisingly, the video is available for download from iTunes, though the song on its own is not.

ALSO SEE:
* Throwback, Spring 1993: Don't Walk Away Boy
* Throwback: U.S.U.R.A., "Open Your Mind"
* Throwback: Cola Boy, "7 Ways To Love"

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    That was a hit in Australia too. I remember seeing it on tv all the time! Nothing beats cheesy 90s Eurodance!

     
  • At 6:24 AM, Blogger Tricky said…

    This reminds me of the guy who I lent my CD single copy of this song to when I was 17 - and who never returned it. Ugh.

     
  • At 7:15 AM, Blogger John said…

    I vaguely remember hearing this at one point, but all of those songs kind of blur together. It's no "Sky High", is it?

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger Adem With An E said…

    I washed my Aunty's car for a month in order for her to buy me this song on record when I was a child. Still got that piece of wax too; killer track.

    D'luv; your throwbacks are amazing. DID YOU EVER LOVE FELIX'S "IT'LL MAKE ME CRAZY"?? I must know.

     
  • At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Run 2 Rangutan said…

    Dig it! I think East Side Beat's cover of "Ride Like The Wind" was big in my local homo club at the same time.

     
  • At 8:35 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Mike, cheesy '90s Eurodance is the rhythm of my life.

    Tricky, hopefully you got sex from the guy at least, teenage slutboxx.

    John, well, nothing is "Sky High." It is, however, better than Dino's "Ooh, Child!"

    Adem, thanks! They're fun to do... I actually have never heard that one, but gonna go check it out.

    R2R, that one was a good jam, too! In fact, I just thought of another one, which I might save for the next Throwback.

     
  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger Adem With An E said…

    You remember Felix's "Don't You Want Me"? Sort of just before the USURA track. Anyways, the one I mentioned was the follow up to that, and one of my favourite tracks of all time. A deconstruction jam too, and co-written/produced by Rollo off-of Faithless.

     
  • At 11:08 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Adem, found the video on YouTube...nice! I only had heard "Don't You Want Me," a mix of which is on a Deconstruction compilation I have...

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I bought the album based upon the "Run to You" cover alone and I wore that poor CD out! Dated and cheesy, unquestionably, but it still makes me move. "Savior" was an even better track!

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Blogger Rick said…

    What is he saying in the middle of the song though?
    I used to think it was:
    "You need to stick your feet up from knockin'" now I think it is either "You need to show your feet aren't for dancin'" or "You need to show your feet aren't for nothin'".
    Advice please.
    Rick

     
  • At 5:08 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Hey, Rick, actually I believe it's "You need to show your feet / stop the nonsense."

     
  • At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    behind felix, there was rollo armstrong, also known as the member of faithless and dido`s brother. excellent floorfilla, rollo paid only 300 pounds to do the track:D also, dont you want me...great hit!try to find rollo goes camping - get off your high horse, great hit from 1995., it reminds of felix. rollo was producer and remixer of: usura, kristine w, livin joy, pet shop boys..as concerns rage, i remember it being a huge hit in croatia, 1992., i was also 17 y old:D
    regards, raver from croatia

     
  • At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Maya said…

    I totally love this track, nothing else I know gets me instantly up and dancing like a crazy like this does ... I was once dancing to it on my old walkman in a wilderness campsite in the states and everyone wanted to hear what was making me hop - we opened the car doors and put it on and soon everyone was leaping around like loonies
    You just got me flying around my living room ...

     
  • At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Tina said…

    The drummer was Pierson Grange who also played with (among others) Peter Andre, D:Ream and Alphaville. Sadly he no longer has the bandana.

     
  • At 3:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Rick & D'Luv
    The Rap in the middle of the song is actually....."You need to slow your speed stop the nonsense"
    Hope this helps after all those years of listening. Enjoy !!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home