dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Chris Brown's "Forever" Debuts In The Top 10

Chris Brown's "Forever" has debuted at #9, and the video, which was set to premiere on TRL today, was leaked onto YouTube. Oops!

Jesus, and you thought the song was gay on its own! (Just kidding, Chris! Please make more hits like this!) The vid is directed by Joseph Kahn, who did all the cool teen pop ones back in the day, like Backstreet Boys' "Everybody" and Britney Spears' "Stronger." "Forever" now gives Chris three songs in the Top 10 for the week.

Meanwhile, Leona Lewis returns to the top of the Hot 100 with "Bleeding Love" for a third non-consecutive week. Jesus, baby, make up your mind! She performed on American Idol recently, so that's probably the cause of it.

Madonna and Justin Timberlake's "4 Minutes" scoots up to #4. Now that the track is being downloaded from both the album and the digital single, maybe it'll climb higher? Either way, "4 Mintues" has now crossed the one million sales mark.

Elsewhere, Jesse McCartney enters the chart at #14 with "Leavin'," Duffy's "Mercy" finally makes its U.S. debut at #87 and Ashlee Simpson scrapes in at #95 with "Little Miss Obsessive." Barely scrapes. We're talking, she used a rusty butter knife to chip through and get there.

Did I mention Weezer's "Pork And Beans" at #84? I always liked them. Brings me back to the college days, those dorks. Anyway, overall, a pretty pop-filled Top 10!

The U.S. Top 10:

1. "Bleeding Love" - Leona Lewis *3 weeks* *sales gainer*
2. "Lollipop" - Lil Wayne Feat. Static Major *airplay gainer*
3. "No Air" - Jordin Sparks Duet With Chris Brown
4. "4 Minutes" - Madonna Feat. Justin Timberlake
5. "Love In This Club" - Usher Feat. Young Jeezy
6. "Sexy Can I" - Ray J & Young Berg
7. "Touch My Body" - Mariah Carey
8. "Love Song" - Sara Bareilles
9. "Forever" - Chris Brown *hot shot debut*
10. "With You" - Chris Brown

Labels: , , , , , , , ,


  • At 2:18 PM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    OH MY GOSH, I want to adopt him. Can I do that? Is he younger than me? Oh wait, yeah, of course--he was always mentioning he was sixteen on that first album, and I was...not sixteen by then, so yes, it's a go!

    Fantastic news for "Forever" and for the American music scene in general that it's doing so well!

  • At 8:58 PM, Anonymous shaun said…

    Yay for Weezer...I went through a Weezerssance (did I really just type that?) when that Green album came out years ago and came to believe that they are pretty dang awesome--haven't heard an album yet that I didn't like the majority of!

    Poor Trashlee--I actually found myself thinking today, "Wait, did she do something else awful besides be Jessica's sister and lip synch on SNL?" Just seems like she must have done something worse to have accrued the level of bad karma and disdain she has...it's pretty bad when, without even thinking, you hear she's dating Pete Wentz and think "He's too good for that"...Pete Wentz!!!...

    whatevs, I fought "Pieces of Me" for a good year after its release but couldn't help but dl it at some point...it's kind of awesome as far as pop songs go...

  • At 1:42 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    i'm so fucking happy that Jesse debuted so high. And now it's probably about time that i checked out Chris Brown. I have no sympathy for Ashlee - never liked the bint. Leona at number one again? Is she trying for a record number of non consecutive weeks??!

  • At 12:33 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    PG, you can probably just get him nekkid at this point...he's almost 19. I went to the UCLA library to do some work the other day, and played "Forever" about 7 times on my iPod walking across campus -- I think I'm obsessed!

    Shaun, yeah, the Green album was surprisingly great! The Blue one was totally one of the soundtracks to my first year away at college... that second album, though...not so much. As far as Trashlee's "Pieces of Me," I loved that song from the get-go, but she's never followed it up with anything equally as good.

    Paul, Chris Brown has surprised me and consistently put out a solid trio of fun pop -- "Run It!", "No Air" and "Forever," with the latter being the best. "With You" is kinda boring, and I just couldn't get into "Kiss Kiss", but "Forever" makes up for them.

  • At 2:06 PM, Anonymous shaun said…

    LOL, yeah, Weezer's second, "Pinkerton," is not everyone's taste. Having said that, it somehow became my favorite Weezer album. I would encourage you to give it another try, but, alas, you probably already have...it just doesn't work for everyone...

  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Shaun, we had Pinkerton at the college radio station the year I did the morning show there, and I played the single once...the one that started out, "Goddamn you half-Japanese girls..." I thought it was such a letdown from the prior album.

    That said, I've never actually listended to, nor do I own it, so maybe I should check it out? I did like the first album by The Rentals though... good stuff.

  • At 10:31 PM, Anonymous shaun said…

    Then, there's hope! El Scorcho--the single you describe--borders on annoying, and my feelings for it vary from day to day--played it tonight and am leaning toward disdain...might change tomorrow.

    At any rate, "Across the Sea" and "Pink Triangle" are absolute classics...great hooks and good writing...

    "Pink Triangle" is especially fun, and there's a big debate as to whether Rivers was disclosing his bisexuality/bicuriousity with certain lines...good stuff.

  • At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Zachary said…

    Thanks so much for this article, quite effective piece of writing.
    here | at this shop | Barbara Bui White Open Back T_shirt


Post a Comment

<< Home