dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Cyndi Lauper's Bring Ya To The Brink: The Second Great Pop Album Of 2008

That's right -- blow the candles, Cyndi! This year marks 25 years since She's So Unusual, and quite honestly, other than her 12 Deadly Cyns compilation in 1995 and, more recently, The Essential Cyndi Lauper, I haven't paid much attention to the singer's albums since that first iconic one came out when I was nine (!!).

And so it's with some surprise that I find myself billing her latest, the just-released Bring Ya To The Brink, one of 2008's great pop albums. Sorry Madonna and Mariah, but goonies 'R' good enough for me!

The album first crossed my desk in April, but truth be told, after about two listens, I set it aside. When a final copy of the CD arrived Saturday, I popped it in the car D'luv, and realized that BYTTB is indeed a driving album. That's how it's meant to be heard! Well, okay, it's probably more meant to be heard on a dancefloor, but I'm 34. In gay years, that's, like, 79.

Chances are you've already marveled at the sheer Holy shit, this is a rad jam!-ness of "Into The Nightlife." I'm actually glad that's to be a single, because "Same Ol' Story" didn't really knock my boots off.

"Lyfe" gets skipped everytime on this end -- which is ironic, since the title of the set comes from that song's lyrics -- but Cyndi's Andreas Kleerup collaboration, "Lay Me Down" and Axwell's "Rain On Me" are up there with "Into The Nightlife." In fact, I wish she would have called the album Into The Nightlife. It would've totally fit. "Echo" and the subtle, pensive "Raging Storm" are pretty bonza, too.

"Grab A Hold" is as close as it comes to '80s-era Cyndi Lauper. It makes me fondly think of the sheer joy "She Bop," "I Drove All Night" and "Change Of Heart" brought as a kid.

If you've not picked up Brink Ya To The Brink yet, download it from iTunes for the also-excellent bonus tracks -- the disco-y "Got Candy" and moody ballad, "Can't Breathe." (Why didn't these make the final cut instead of "Lyfe"?)

FINAL ASSESSMENT: Just really good stuff. Not the best album ever, but often the ones that stand out are the more subtle records that sideswipe you out of the blue. And make you wanna take a drive.

Cyndi Lauper's True Colors Tour starts this week.

ALSO SEE:
* Ferras' Aliens & Rainbows: The First Great Pop Album Of 2008

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

  • At 7:11 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    Love, love, LOVE the album! I'm working on my own review but it keeps getting delayed because I just want to enjoy this poptastic delight instead of thinking about it too much. "Rain On Me" is the best thing Cyndi has done since her cover of "When You Were Mine". Exquisite!

    Bring Ya To The Brink shows Madonna up for the desperate, old has-been she really is. Cyndi doesn't need to flash her dried up, post-menopausal cooch to stay relevant.

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I totally agree with you Doll. Half of the tracks are AMAZING. Into The Nightlife... Makes me tingle. So looking forward to the remixes for that track! Madonna should be shitting her diaper by now..

    bye lady!

     
  • At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love this album! This is the return of the great Cyndi Lauper! What a great album! I couldn't believe that this was actually her singing! Rain On Me and Into The Night Life are brilliant! Echo is also one of my favs! It's been a long time since I actually enjoy a whole album like this one! Great to have you back Cyn!

     
  • At 4:17 AM, Blogger Kenneth Walsh said…

    Wow, I'm excited. The "Into the Nightlife" sample I heard had me really impressed. Unfortunately I'm old-school, which means I MUST have the CD and since I'm old-school AND anal, I must have the bonus tracks, so I'm waiting for my Japanese disc to arrive from eBay.

     
  • At 8:20 AM, Blogger Ben said…

    I guess I have to be the dissenting opinion today. I got my hands on Cyndi's CD a couple of weeks ago and after 3 listens...haven't listened since. I found it rote and dull.

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Anonymous marco said…

    Amazing and so enjoyable album, I agree! But I would rather rate High and Mighty, Echo and Rocking Chair, they're so hot!!
    and even Same Ol' Story gets me more each time I hear it on my iPod ;)

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    This Album Should have put Cyndi Straight back at the top of the charts! What did it reach on release. There should really have been a single to back the album's release. Into the nightlife would have easily done it. Cyn should have released this next month here ready for the 5 day tour she has planned. I hope this one does not go by un-noticed!

     
  • At 2:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Quite worthwhile material, thanks for your post.
    also 4 | you may here | nice here this site | check site | this 7 check site | also 9

     

Post a Comment

<< Home