dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Saturday, June 07, 2008

New York's Virgin Megastore In Times Square To Be Shuttered

Photo courtesy AMNewYork/Jefferson Siegel

Oh, the sadly inevitable. Surely, for those who don't live there, anyone who's ever visited New York has at least walked past the Times Square Virgin Megastore. It's where I bought Robyn's latest CD on import in November, and was always one of the retailers I hit up on trips to NYC.

Alas, Reuters reports that Vornado Realty Trust plans to close the music outlet in early 2009:
...Vornado plans to close the Virgin Megastore in the first quarter of 2009, said Sandeep Mathrani, Vornado's executive vice president and head of its Retail Real Estate Division.

Vornado and Related Cos bought Virgin Megastores North America last year. "We bought the Virgin business to wind it down to get a hold of the real estate," Mathrani said.

Virgin pays only a $54 per square foot when the market rent in the area is about $700, Mathrani said.

Sounds like the Virgin at Union Square is probably not too far behind. You may recall a glum D'luv making this video in January the week the Sunset Blvd. Virgin here in L.A. closed after 12 years:

* R.I.P. Virgin Megastore, Los Angeles
* New York Afternoon



  • At 7:01 PM, Blogger MrBrady said…

    Inevitable, but still very sad. I'll be paying my respects (with 30% off) with a final visit in August this year.

    I'd love to see zavvi make it's way to the US.. you never know.

  • At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Pranav said…

    This really is sad. The Virgin Megastore has always been a stop on every one of my trips to NYC. Hell, I even met my musical idol George Michael there.

  • At 6:08 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    "I'll be paying my respects (with 30% off)"

    HAHAHA you are so wrong for that! loves it

    On a serious note, this makes me sad. Virgin was my go-to place for "hard to find" import singles/albums etc. back when I was a teenager into B*Witched and Steps and stuff. I remember finding one of my most prized possessions there - a (to me, then) rare copy of TLC's Creep 96... You think the one in SF may be going soon too then? Awwwww

  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger Mark said…

    sad to see it go, it is kind of an anchor to TS, but it's good news for the indie stores like Rebel Rebel on Bleecker that have survived the onslaught and eventual demise of the big chain stores.


Post a Comment

<< Home