dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Eric Prydz, I Luv U Baby!

Will D'luv's restless ears ever tire of hearing and invoking a pop conspiracy? This week's U.K. chart finds Eric Prydz' '90s house throwback "Pjanoo" (or piano) enter at #2, matching the Swede DJ's January 2007 peak with "Proper Education."

But I can't help drawing at least a somewhat minute parallel between "Pjanoo" and one of my all-time fave '90s Euro-dance classics, The Original's "I Luv U Baby"—another jam that peaked at #2 on the U.K. chart in August 1995 (exactly 14 years ago this month).

Jesus, MoogaBoo and I used to go out and cut a rug to that one when we were 21. What are we now? 26? Yeah, sounds about right.



Elsewhere, Alphabeat's "Boyfriend" climbs to #15. Good. It deserves it, if only for the masterful "Pete Hammond Mix" (listen here). That particular version has become a clear frontrunner for my fave track of 2008 so far.

Do yourself a favor: Hop in your car and listen to that mix at a respectable, loud volume while jetting down the freeway like I did driving to Arizona for the holiday weekend.

Flying through the desert never felt so Linn-drum-tastic.

The U.K. Top 10:

1. "I Kissed A Girl" - Katy Perry *4 weeks*
2. "Pjanoo" - Eric Prydz *new*
3. "Disturbia" - Rihanna
4. "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" - The Script
5. "Mountains" - Biffy Clyro
6. "All Summer Long" - Kid Rock
7. "Beggin'" - Madcon
8. "Dance Wiv Me" - Dizzee Rascal/Calvin Harris/Chrome
9. "Love Is Noise" - The Verve
10. "5 Years Time" - Noah & The Whale

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    Love how shitty the videos always are for faceless euro-dance acts like Eric Prydz. Great track, though! And I so remember bumpin' to I Luv U Baby. That was when we were 21 -- five years ago at retro night! ha ha

     
  • At 12:43 AM, Blogger John said…

    I have been sending the Pete Hammond version of the Alphabeat video to every self-respecting homosexual I know (all 3 of them), and they're loving it as well. I was hoping for a top 10 impact with the single's release, but still it's a good showing. Definitely in my top 5 for the year so far, dueling with Solange's "Sandcastle Disco" at the moment for time on my iPod.

     
  • At 2:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    1995 was 13 years ago :)

     
  • At 6:18 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    Oh the charts. Alphabeat is amazing. well the remix is. I see the song they wrote for Avenue didn't even tickle the charts a little bit which makes me somewhat sad... I'm strangely hugely into Noah and The Whale at the moment, and bizarrely also Teddy "looks hot on his album cover" Thompson...Please tell me that Miley at 23 is still on digital download only... she must get higher than that if only to spite Katy Perry...

     
  • At 5:03 AM, Blogger Adem With An E said…

    How good is the Eric Prydz track? Did you know he has a massive fear of flying? He's about to make his first ever trip to Australia this New Years to play some records though so it seems he's finally overcome the fear.

    But yeah, promoters tried bringing him down around the 'Call On Me' era and, no matter how much money they offered him, he said no!

    I Luv U Baby is pretty bloody ace too innit?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home