dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Monday, August 25, 2008

They Don't Make 'Em Like The Pete Hammond Mix Of Alphabeat's "Boyfriend" Anymore

It was a complete no-brainer that D'luv would fall hard for the Pete Hammond mix of Alphabeat's third U.K. single, "Boyfriend."

The now 61-year old (!!) mixer/remixer/producer made a solid name jazzing up a large bulk of Stock/Aitken/Waterman's productions and 12" mixes in the 1980s. Here he displays no shame in crafting "Boyfriend" into a 1988-esque-sounding confection that is pleasantly reminiscent of Bananarama's "I Can't Help It."

This is just complete pop heaven:



And while Alphabeat Vs. Bananarama was almost begging to be a "Pop Conspiracy," it just seemed a bit too obvious.

The "Pete Hammond Mix" of "Boyfriend" is available on U.K. iTunes.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

  • At 7:21 AM, Blogger Yuяi said…

    Are you sure this dude's 61, or do we have some D'luv Kabbalah math going on again?!

    In any event, it's a great mix and very 'Nana-ish. Good stuff!

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger John said…

    As much as I'd like to see Alphabeat try to cross over to the US, I think they're just fine where they're at. Hammond's version is, by far, the most inspired remix of the year, and potentially of the decade to date. And no, I am not prone to exaggeration.

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    That's GREAT - I want it now!

    PS Rick Astley should have been Obama's veep pick!

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger Dan said…

    "I Can't Help It" has one of my most embarrassing mishears. Instead of "I can't help it/I'm captivated by you honey", I heard "I can't help it/I got debated by your heartache."

    Yeah, like that makes sense.

    I second Rick Astley!

     
  • At 6:14 AM, Blogger Adem With An E said…

    SHITS all over the original version of the song doesn't it? One of my favourites for the year.

     
  • At 6:14 AM, Anonymous Yisraelee said…

    Pete said that he 'recreated' all the sounds once again, having to reprogramme his DX7 just for this song! We want MORE Mr Hammond!

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    love love love it!!!!

    signed,

    Will-W.
    President, Campaign for Kylie & Pete Hammond Collabo
    Secretary, Campaign for Rick Astley's Comeback

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger DJ San Fran said…

    Such a hot mix! It's too bad it's not getting released commercially on CD single, just digitally.

    If you're able to, listen to "The Hammond Version Excursion" of Bananarama's "I Can't Help It".

    It's definitely the mix that Pete based his Alphabeat remix on. All the instrumentation and drum programming is the same.

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger michael said…

    It also reminds me of Blue Mercedes' Love Is The Gun:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaCY-a5tNDw

     

Post a Comment

<< Home