dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

How Does The Killers' "Human" Rate As A First Single Off An Album?

The Killers' lead single "Human" off Day & Age leaked and did the rounds more times yesterday than a three-dollar hooker on Good Friday. But if you're a blessed saint and haven't heard it yet, it's streaming on the band's official site (and will be available for paid download next week).

Brandon Flowers and Co. has traditionally unleashed some groovy, memorable first singles off their albums—"Somebody Told Me," "When You Were Young" and even "Tranquilize" off last year's Sawdust compilation.

So how does "Human" rank when stacked up against these others? I like the Stuart Price production, but while the Killers aren't drowned out by all the blips and bleeps, I'm not entirely sure it all gels well.

It might grow on me. So far it's a 7 out of 10. Am I nuts?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger DJ Fruit Loops said…

    omg im so fucking in love with this song i have played it about 50 times since yesterday i cant wait for the remixes

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    IMO this one is a grower not a show-er - it does not beat you with a fast hook. I love it - esp his vocals and the human or dancer hook.

    Also cannot wait for the remixes.

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, you are. it's brizilliant!

     
  • At 5:02 PM, Blogger John said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger John said…

    Absolutely brilliant track. It may just be where my head's at right now, but the more I hear it, the more "deep" it feels. And no, that's not a Shayne Ward kind of deep, either.

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger Jump! said…

    I have some very serious thoughts about this song. First, it does sound very similar to me like Stuart Price's work with Madonna and Seal. By that I mean there is a very Euro vibe in the song- Its sounds like a New Order track to me.

    The Killers have never been very exciting to me as they have always felt like imitators and not proper musicians. The electropop of "human" probably won't do well in the states but that's just my prediction.

    I actually like the song but for this to be the "new" single by a major act its a bit limp. Just my thoughts.

     
  • At 12:56 AM, Anonymous My Name Is Dita said…

    STOP THE PRESS!!!

    GAY AIKEN: "YEP, I'M GAY!"

    Cover of People Magazine.

    Remember those Claymate trolls who insisted that he wasn't gay and considered it an insult? HA!

     
  • At 5:42 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    ah Dluvverlee i think it will grow on you. It's quite sweet and sad and hopeful and beautiful, and so very you. So i am hoping you will learn to love it as i do. If not, i will have to come round and pound (your ass?) on you for a little while :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home