dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Here Comes Sugababes' "Girls," And There Goes Will Young

The fall's new offerings are beginning to chip away at the boring ol' U.K. Top 10 that has remained somewhat stagnant and unmoving over the past month or so.

Perhaps the most surprising development is that "Changes," Will Young's first single off his upcoming fourth album, actually fell three spots following its physical CD single release. Last week "Changes" peaked at #10 on downloads alone. Now it sits at #13.

Sugababes make a return with the so-so "Girls" at #8. Actually, so-so is almost too kind a term for that turkey of a single. It's gettin' no D'luvvin' round these parts. In fact, that "The Promise" by ho troupe Girls Aloud beats "Girls" by a mile.

Kudos to Jennifer Hudson for climbing up four positions to #11 with "Spotlight" and congrats to Pink for debuting at #38 with "So What." Meanwhile, how about X Factor rejects Avenue entering at #50 with "Last Goodbye"?

Here's the video for said tune, in its "All Around The World Mix" form...paired up with the video for Sugababes' "Girls":



And I just wouldn't be me if I didn't point out (with glee) that McFly have fallen from #4 to #17 with "Lies." Ta, lads!

The U.K. Top 10:

1. "Sex On Fire" - Kings Of Leon *3 weeks*
2. "I Kissed A Girl" - Katy Perry
3. "Disturbia" - Rihanna
4. "When I Grow Up" - Pussycat Dolls
5. "In This City" - Iglu & Hartly
6. "Cookie Jar" - Gym Class Heroes feat. The Dream
7. "You Make It Real'" - James Morrison *new*
8. "Girls" - Sugababes *new*
9. "Miss Independent" - Ne-Yo
10. "There You'll Be" - Faith Hill *new*

Labels: , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

  • At 3:47 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    I'm happy with number 8 for the Sugababes, as I suspect it will dangle around the top ten for a while. Of course I thought that about Big Willy but he is now at unlucky 13. Boo that whore :( And McFly falling to number 17 is surely considered a triumph for them :P It's still top twenty and now means they have spent 3 weeks in the top 30!! Hurrah! I'll take my victories where i can get them thank you very much.

    Sad about Avenue at 50 and Feeling god knows where :*(

     
  • At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Wesley said…

    D'Luv you are usually spot one, but on this one I have to say, while "Girls" is not the Babes best it is far better than "The Promise". It must be said that when a group of friends can't get past the first 30 seconds in a song without turning it off that it can't be that good. Babes are always be a little bit more on top. Either way I can't wait for both albums!

     
  • At 11:53 AM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    HO TROUPE.

    And I love The Promise, I don't get all the bad reviews I've been reading. Am I missing something? Does one of them fart in it?

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger will said…

    umm. i'm v. shocked to see faith hill's "there you'll be" (aka the only good thing in "pearl harbour") reach the top 10. is there any explanation for this?
    x


    W

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger duanemoody.com said…

    I'm surprised Will Young's song dipped; it gets even better with each and every listen... not to mention how brills the album is!

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Robb said…

    Girls has grown on me (the chorus is very catchy) but it's one of the Sugababes' weaker singles. I'm still upset "Never Gonna Dance Again" was never released (most likely because it sounded far too similar to Girls Aloud's "Call the Shots"). That's what happens when Xenomania produces songs for everyone.

    Anyway, I will second the question: What IS the deal with Faith Hill's ancient single hitting the top 10?

     
  • At 4:07 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    From Wikipedia: "On September 20, 2008, Amy Connelly sang the song in the auditions round of The X Factor and the song subsequently peaked at #4 on the iTunes Chart."

     
  • At 10:26 PM, Blogger will said…

    ahh! i see.... which goes to show that charts today are too heavy weighted on downloads.

     
  • At 7:43 PM, Blogger John said…

    Actually, I'm glad to see the song chart. If we really want to talk about pop music, we should talk about more than just what the "Machine" releases for our consumption. If a record can get that much attention, why should it have to be legitimized by a physical release?

    Now to prove my theory, I shall single-handedly cause Newton's "Sky High" to chart next week.

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger OM3GA said…

    I loved the classic "Here Come The Girls" by Ernie K. Doe.
    The man must be crying in his grave after listening to the Sugarbabes....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home