dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

New Kids On The Block And Pink Are Runner-Ups

Did you ever think you'd see the day where, after a 14 year absence, New Kids On The Block would have a hit album again? The Block enters Billboard's Top 200 Albums chart at #2 on the back of 95,000 copies sold, making it their highest-charting LP since Step By Step in 1990.

Admittedly, D'luv was d'ubious about the reunited Kids at first. I figured their new album would go the safe, boring ballad route. And so it's a shock to hear The Block and realize that it's probably the most refreshing pop album this year.

The lyrics are at times completely cheesy ("Oh, it's crazy/ she's like, 'baby'/ I'm like Swayze", from "Dirty Dancing"), but the sound and feel of the record are top notch, which we can probably attribute to producer RedOne.

Best Tracks: "Big Girl Now," "Sexify My Love," "Twisted" and "Full Service."

As well, NKOTB's Greatest Hits that Sony threw out last month is up from #54 to #30 this week.

Back on the Hot 100, Pink's "So What climbs up one position to #2 following her cougar-tastic performance on the MTV VMAs.

Christ, there was just a commercial for the 9 To 5 musical on TV, and Dolly Parton—love ya, babe, but the plastic surgery...!

What were we talking about? Ah, fuck it...

The U.S. Top 10:

1. "Whatever You Like" - T.I. *3 weeks* *airplay gainer*
2. "So What" - Pink *sales gainer*
3. "Disturbia" - Rihanna
4. "Forever" - Chris Brown
5. "Paper Planes'" - M.I.A
6. "I'm Yours" - Jason Mraz
7. "Viva La Vida'" - Coldplay
8. "Closer'" - Ne-Yo
9. "In The Ayer" - Flo Rida Feat. will.i.am
10. "Dangerous" - Kardinal Offishall Feat. Akon

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    I am holding you to the comment about NKOTB being "the most refreshing pop album this year." We'll see how you feel in 3 months sir! D'ubious ind'eedy.

     
  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger John said…

    "Click Click Click" is my favorite, but I like all of the songs you mentioned. Scary that even the New Edition song sounds decent.

    Fairly decent top 10 this week. I still get "Dangerous" stuck in my head. The rap is forgettable, but Akon's vocals are damn catchy. Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to go bleach my eardrums.

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Haha, I'm with you Stephen. The NKOTB's album is not a pop album. It's your typical R&B (or faux-R&B if you prefer) album, produced by the same arse-boring hip hop producers. I do wish reviewers and "critics" would stop calling everything a "pop" album.

    As Homer would say "BOOORIIIING!".

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    XO, don't threaten me, you witch! I know where you live...

    John, yeah, there's something mesmerizing about that New Edition song. Also, I heard "Dangerous" on the radio in the parking lot of the post office yesterday, and it's just hit me how snazzy that opening is.

    Anonymous, pop is short for popular, luv. Which, by that token, even Nirvana, Kanye West, Taylor Swift and your vagina can be considered pop.

     
  • At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ahh! you're going to kill me also, but ne-yo's solo version of "Single" is far superior w/o the superfluous noise traffic of NKOTB. :p i would have respected this comeback more if they were singing songs men in their late 30's should be singing about - not hitting on 20 year old girls in the club. sorry, just saying, not hating!

    x

    W

     

Post a Comment

<< Home