dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Steps Are Always In My Heart To Stay: "Heartbeat/Tragedy" At Age 10

Yeah, yeah–I know there's probably the most historic Presidential election of our times tomorrow, but we'll get to that tomorrow.

For now, chew on this: Steps' fourth single, "Heartbeat," (double A-sided with their cover of the Bee Gees' "Tragedy," which became the fivesome's signature tune) came out 10 years ago today.

It would go on to climb its way to the top of the U.K. chart in early January 1999, making it the first of Steps' two #1 singles in the U.K. (followed by 2000's "Stomp").

Is it a sacrilege to point out that I grew tired of "Tragedy" early on, and always preferred "Heartbeat"? Yeah, probably. But I hold my head up high and remember fondly getting the band's first album Step One on import that winter, which, incidentally, contained five classic pop singles and "Back To You," an album track that perhaps deserved so much more.

Some things are better best forgotten. After a whole decade, Steps, as it turns out, are not one of them.

Bundle up and check out the video for "Heartbeat" below. Could a cheesy band like Steps ever happen again? Could the forced rhyming of "am" and "palm" be any more annoying? Could Ian "H" Watkins be any gayer?

No on all counts. And that's what makes this a classy jam:

Labels: , ,


  • At 1:36 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    OMG - i exhibit no shame in confessing that Steps are probably my second fave all time pop group behind Abba! (Hence the excitement around same diff)... I have to say i didn't really like Heartbeat straight away, I was obsessed with the Tragedy, but the song really grew on me and proved to be the more enduring number. One For Sorrow is still one of the prettiest sad songs out there. Viva la steps!

  • At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Tragedy"? Bee Gees' signature song?

    Try anything off the Saturday Night Fever, dollface.

  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    "Tragey" = Steps' signature song.

  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger Scooter said…

    Steps, one of my guilty pleasures!

  • At 5:17 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    STFU!! I LOVE that you brought up the "am" and "PAM" phenomenon.

    I remember chitchatting with... do you remember someone named Kyliedawg?... about it TEN YEARS AGO? OMG I was 17!! HAHAH

  • At 9:49 PM, Blogger ww_adh said…

    Steps!! I love Steps. I'm more a "Tragedy" guy myself, and as Paul points out, "One for Sorrow" is another really great track from them. Can I also mention "Chain Reaction," "After the Love Has Gone," and "Better the Devil You Know?"

  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Joshua, OMG, it just now hit me that you were on that message board! I never put two and two together. Well, I did, but I kept getting three.

    ww_adh, for me it's all about "Say You'll Be Mine," "Back To You" and the b-side "Just Like The First Time."

    Scooter, there's no guilt with Steps! Line-dance proudly, friend!

  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger Kyliedawg said…

    imagine my surprise at popping in to see whom else is going to giggle at steps heartwrenching song about standing with their heart in the PAM of their hand and getting namechecked!

    yes, it's me, kyliedawg of kyliedawg@aol.com famosity....

    although robbie i think you must be confused about it being 10 years since steps released this track as **I** haven't aged a bit....

    and neither have my musical tastes.

    love ya, love your blog

    still livin' in the mistake by the lake,


  • At 1:52 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Kyliedawg's in the house! Oh, Adolfo, I so remember your disappointment when Steps broke up.

    In many ways, I'm glad they did before they started to suck, but I think they're about due for a Take That-type reunion!


Post a Comment

<< Home