dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thank God Robyn's In The U.K. Chart So Beyoncé Isn't The Only Name In This Headline

Beyoncé lands her fourth U.K. solo #1 in the U.K. this week with "If I Were A Boy," but technically you'd have to go back nearly five-and-a-half years to "Crazy In Love" (July 2003) to find one that didn't feature another artist. UPDATE: Thanks to readers Greg and Arlen for both pointing out that "Crazy In Love" did indeed feature Jay-Z. Sorry, Hova!

The B last topped the Brit chart in April 2007 with her Shakira duet "Beautiful Liar." Before that it was August 2006 with (the godawful) "Deja Vu" featuring Jay-Z.

I do wish The Killers had made it to #1 instead, though, with "Human." At least they move up one to #3. Still, they deserve it after their home country woefully overlooked this groovy single and "Spaceman." Oh, sigh.

That said, Beyoncé's LP I Am...Sasha Fierce doesn't fair so well, and only manages to enter the British album chart at #10.

Moving on to Girls Aloud, the Xenomania-produced, Pet Shop Boys-written "The Loving Kind" has been announced as the their second single off Out Of Control. It's set to be officially released in mid-January.

Waaaaay down at #29, Christian Falk and Robyn's "Dream On" debuts. That gives pixie-haired Swedish single her third U.K. Top 40 hit this year, and fifth overall from her last album. Once again, it'll be great to finally get some new music from her.

On a final note, things should get interesting this coming week with the release of Take That's "Greatest Day" and "We R One" from Same Difference. Hopefully those two singles act as a pop-infused ice pick and break up the Top 10 a bit...or at least bury themselves in Beyoncé's forehead.

Put a ring on it, y'all.

The U.K. Top 10:

1.
"If I Were A Boy" - Beyoncé *1 week*
2. "Hero" - X Factor Finalists
3. "Human" - The Killers
4. "Live Your Life" - T.I. Feat. Rihanna
5. "Hot N Cold" - Katy Perry
6. "The Boy Does Nothing'" - Alesha Dixon
7. "The Promise" - Girls Aloud
8. "Infinity 2008" - Guru Josh Project
9. "Womanizer'" - Britney Spears
10. "Forgive Me" - Leona Lewis

Labels: , , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

  • At 5:44 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    Have a post lined up for tomorrow regarding Robyn's newest reissue. Cash cow! That said, Dream on is one of the prettiest, yet almost political singles this year. Not that there are others that fit that description!

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    I'd forgotten "Dream On" was out now! I think I can safely say "Human" is better than either of the songs ahead of it.

    I'm sending Same Difference and Take That all the positive vibes I can muster.

    It's definitely good news about "The Loving Kind" as the next single--just a shame I won't technically be able to count it as a 2008 single.

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger Ms. Melismatic said…

    "If I Were A Boy" is growing on me, but I don't find it very remarkable. The same with GA's new single. I suppose I'll just have to listen to it more.

    <3 about Robyn. I adore every song she's ever released, and "Dream On" is no different!

     
  • At 8:10 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    What about the festive rubber balls waiting to come bouncing back into the top ten. Shall we take bets? Last year it was Mariah and The Pogues. This year? Mariah and Slade. deffo. I caught her giving Noddy Holder one on XTube.

    Not that I know what XTube is or anything.

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger Greg said…

    "Crazy In Love" is featuring Jay Z, isn't it?

    "If I Were a Boy" is a weak single for Beyonce, but anything is better than that X-Factor garbage.

     
  • At 12:46 AM, Blogger John said…

    She Is...Sasha So-So. As in so-so sad. Looks like she's going to easily debut at #1 here though, with over a half milli. This glut of new music on the British chart is terrific, though.

     
  • At 2:52 AM, Anonymous Arlen, Australia said…

    Yeah, Crazy In Love also featured Jay-Z, so technically this is her first SOLO #1 :)

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Greg and Arlen, right you are! How could I be so lax on my B knowledge? Will ammend.

    John, I saw somewhere that Matthew Knowles had originally predeicted it would sell 750,000 to 1 million copies, but that, as you said, it would only sell between 500,000 and 600,000.

    Phil, Mariah's Poguetube?

    Ms. M, ditto. I could let "If I were a Boy" grow on me, but I slapped myself early on and said, "no!"

    PG, "The Loving Kind" should do well since it's being released in January, a virtual graveyard for releases.

    XO, agreed, and I must go back and actually give it some listening time. I skipped over that one a lot.

     
  • At 11:38 AM, Anonymous My Name Is Dita said…

    Well... regarding "Crazy In Love"...

    Are we being technical or not? Technically speaking, "Crazy In Love" is solely credited to that cow, Beyoncé. Jay-Z did not receive an artist's credit.

    Click here for the single's picture sleeve.

    Either way, she sucks donkey's balls.

     
  • At 9:36 PM, Blogger Michael said…

    Why is there a Bellamy Bros song in the UK chart?

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger will said…

    Wait.. wasn't "Irreplaceable" a solo effort sans les rappers? Oh come on, what does a girl have to get a bit of credit on a blog? Girl works hard and I'm sorry, I love Solange and all, but she's no B-Town! tee-hee!

    x

    W

     
  • At 1:52 AM, Blogger Adem With An E said…

    Thank god she's no "B-Town." I'll take the genuine, vastly more talented Solange over B-Bouncey any day.

    Will IASF crash out of the top 10 next week? I hope so. It's an awful, awful album that's patchy at best. Beyonce needs to fucking up her game if she wants to play with the Rihanna's of the world. There is nothing on that album (bar that one Leona was supposed to sing and the Ring-on-it single) that is interesting or compelling. Boring B-bouncey.

    No surprises on The Loving Kind being the next single, though I really do think single number 3 should be a radio edit of "Untouchable."

     
  • At 10:30 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Will, "Irreplaceable" didn't top the UK chart...it' only went to #4 there.

     
  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    Sasha Fierce is an annoying album to be sure, but it actually has some pretty great pop songs and ballads. If you imagined it wasn't Beyonce singing the songs, you may actually like them! LOL

     
  • At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Really helpful information, lots of thanks for your post.
    look 1 | superb link | you may 9 you may 1 | look 4 | you may 7 do not forget 1 | do not forget 7

     

Post a Comment

<< Home