dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Throwback: Five, "It's The Things You Do"

Keeping in theme with Steps' "Heartbeat" and Britney Spears' "...Baby One More Time," here's another one from 10 years ago—Five's (or 5ive) "It's The Things You Do."

For some reason I was dying to hear this the other week, so I went digging through my box of old CD singles and found it. British boy band Five had one lone Top 10 U.S. hit with "When The Light's Go Out" in summer 1998. This one was the follow-up (in the States only). Alas, while it charted, it didn't make it to the Top 40.

"It's The Things You Do" was produced by Max Martin and Jake. It's a bit more subdued than the stuff Max was doing with Backstreet Boys, NSync and Britney Spears at the time, though, for the most part, it follows the same Cheiron formula.

Five were initially put together by Bob and Chris Herbert, (who'd previously wrangled the Spice Girls) and were signed by Simon Cowell.

Anyway, "It's The Things You Do" always reminds me of fall. Below is the video. (There was another clip on YouTube, without the Spanish subtitles, but it had audio problems.)



Meanwhile, hit up the gallery on former Five member-turned-DJ Richard "Abs" Breen's official site for some rather, uh, revealing photos!

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 10:55 PM, Blogger John said…

    Unfortunately, you mention 5ive, and I think of "Slam Dunk". "Until the Time Is Through" is my favorite, but I also have a soft spot for "Keep On Movin'". That, and for J.

     
  • At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Dan said…

    Which pictures do you mean, i'm intreaged. x

     
  • At 6:53 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    I was never really quite as into 5ive as I should have been :( Still they did have some rather stomping tunes until it all spectacularly imploded just after they released the third album!

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    John, yeah, "Slam Dunk Da Funk" was on the Sabrina, The Teenage Witch soundtrack, out that same fall (1998), which surprisingly had some good jams on it!

    Dan, well, click on any of the ones in his gallery. Abs isn't afraid to show off his, uh, abs...or the upper region of his nether region.

    Paul, me, neither. They had maybe two or three good ones. They were a bit too "street" for my pop taste at the time.

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger ww_adh said…

    I loved "It's The Things You Do." Even though it wasn't a big hit, the top 40 station in my college town played it a lot.

     
  • At 3:06 PM, Blogger Kim said…

    I find it such a shame that they didn't make more albums. I'm listening to "It's The Things You Do" as I write this. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home