dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Is It Me Or Does The New U2 Single Suck?

I heard "Get On Your Boots," the new U2 single, on the radio yesterday morning. You can now download the track on iTunes, and it's free when you pre-order the Irish band's new album, No Line On The Horizon (out March 3 in the U.S.).

At various points in this song's history, it's been said to be called "Sexy Boots" and "Get Your Boots On," but, well, anyway—that doesn't change the fact that it sounds like Bono & Co. jammed their back catalog in a blender and pressed "purée."

Am I right in thinking this is just a rehash of "Vertigo"?

I really liked U2 in their arty Achtung Baby/Zooropa phase. But since then, the band's output (with the exception of "Beautiful Day" and "Electrical Storm") has sounded more like Autopilot Baby on these ears.

Sometimes I feel like U2's unofficial "official" photographer Anton Corbijn is the best thing about them.

Anyway, below is the clip of "Get On Your Boots" from it's first broadcast yesterday, on Ireland's RTE 2FM morning show:

Labels:

11 Comments:

  • At 7:02 AM, Blogger Robpop said…

    At first I thought it sucked really hard.

    Then I felt it sounded a bit like Pinks Charlie Angels theme tune Feel Good Time. It has that surfer dude feel to it. For this, i saw a nice element to the song.

    Then, I realized that its okay for Pink to do this. But not u2.

    The comparison in my mind just made the track a lot worse. Now I hate it.

    Which is where I was to start with so its been a bit of a journey for me.

     
  • At 7:17 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    It's not just you. It really sucks. My life would not suck without this song.

     
  • At 7:40 AM, Anonymous Peter said…

    Even with "too much, more than a lot" Achtung Baby is their best album by a million miles (and the new single misses the mark by a similar distance).

     
  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger Michael said…

    It starts fairly promising and then goes nowhere interesting.

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger Robb said…

    I heard this on Saturday for the first time and my first reaction was that the verse unfortunately sounded like the Escape Club's "Wild Wild West."

    And that's the part of the song that I LIKE. The chorus is dreadful.

    Not a winner.

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Blogger Justin said…

    yeah, it honks big time.

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    It's pedestrian, which U2 should not be. Bring on a song that sounds like U2!

     
  • At 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The worst U2 single ever!
    If this is any indication of the new album U2 will
    vanish into oblivion.

     
  • At 9:16 PM, Blogger Jump! said…

    I agree with Robb. I was really waiting for the whole "she's so sweet but i don't care" bit from Escape club. maybe they should have just done a cover.

    I don't think I hear a single with this one. I'm also cynical enough to believe there are enough people out there that like whatever U2 does and will make this a hit.

     
  • At 11:25 PM, Blogger John said…

    I've developed eardrum spasms from listening to this song. That's not supposed to happen, right?

     
  • At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It sucks big time. U2 reversed evolution. Title of the last album will be "Chimps doing Yeah, Yeah".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home