dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, February 05, 2009

I Lost My Job, But At Least The New Pet Shop Boys Single 'Love, Etc.' Leaked

Well, it's a milestone day. On one hand, I got let go from my day job—how very 2009. (So anyone who wants to hire a witty, professional, handsome writer—har! har!—drop me a line...I do windows!)

While on the other, the brand new Pet Shop Boys single, "Love, etc.", leaked. Upon first listen, as I filled out my unemployment form online, I didn't know what to think. It was kind of like how PopJustice described the tune back in December—it's not really like anything they've done before.

But then I listened again, it all fell into place:

* [Now removed from YouTube, but listen to a short clip at Euphoric]

The Xenomania co-written/produced "Love, etc." is totally the Boys' "Can You Forgive Her?" of this decade. When that dark, plodding jam came out in summer 1993, it was so unlike anything they'd ever done before that you didn't quite know how to take it right away.

But after awhile, it just clicked...the Pet Shop Boys had to either evolve in the grunge/Britpop era, or just hang it up.

If 2006's Fundamental and, in particular, its lead single "I'm With Stupid" was a last nod to the PSBs 1980s heyday, then "Love, etc."—if not the entire new album, Yes, due out next month—is a yet another offshoot into a cooler, more bold direction.

I really dig the unconventional way the second verse is sung on the off-notes, unlike the more traditionally-structured first verse.
In some regards, "Love, etc." almost reminds me of the duo's extremely moody Very-era b-sides "Some Speculation" and "Euroboy," particularly with the angry-sounding "You need more, you need more" refrain.

It's also odd to hear Neil Tennant singing about Hollywood and Beverly Hills, rather than London.

It seems it's a whole new Pet Shop Boys. And I'm lovin' "Love, Etc." But finding a new job? Well, that's gonna suck.

* Pet Shop Boys' 'Very' At 15: How Can I Even Try To Explain?

Labels: ,


  • At 12:04 AM, Blogger Adem With An E said…

    Fucking hell... so sorry to hear about the employment sitch Rob :(

    I do like this "Love, Etc." Quite ace.

  • At 12:19 AM, Blogger will said…

    Robbie, i'm sorry to hear about the bad news :( sending + vibes!

    Yes, this track is great. Not enough to propel them back to the top, but their best in years. I've heard a couple other tracks off it and it's shaping to be quite a fab album!

  • At 12:36 AM, Blogger Thnairg said…

    My heart goes out to you, Rob ... I sometimes think my job sucks, but right now I'm realizing how lucky I am to have a job at all, and a fairly secure one at that. Big hugs....


  • At 1:06 AM, Blogger Brad said…

    Very sorry to hear about that, Rob. I hope something crops up very soon for you :)

    And of course, the track is massive as we have all (mostly) agreed amongst the Holy Blogosphere.

  • At 1:34 AM, Blogger John said…

    Sorry about the job. It's a sign o' the times when you are the third person I know who lost their job today.

    "Love Etc" is brilliant. This is a good sign for the full-length.

  • At 1:49 AM, Anonymous Orangutan, Etc. said…

    Fuck man, I'm really sorry to hear about the job. Hope you find something cool soon!

  • At 3:26 AM, Blogger Mike said…

    Doll, did they find the Leona Lewis voodoo doll under your desk? I'm sorry about the job but I just know that a global media whore like yourself will be snapped up in no time.

    Regarding the Pet Shop Boys, I think it's fucking awful. They've obviously picked up Girls Aloud germs from Xenomania and be sapped of all their creative juices.

  • At 5:04 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    loving the pet shop boys track, hating your employment status :( I could sling a few quid your way for some, er, "jobs" :P

  • At 5:07 AM, Blogger MrBrady said…

    Sorry to hear the news. I'm there with you - I'm currently working on a ship that's sinking fast..

    Glad the PSBs have lightened the moment for you though.

  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    Oh Robbie, I'm so sorry :( This is an awful economic time. Good luck with the job search--a writer like you surely will be able to find something.

    I love "Love Etc." If it wasn't for Last.fm I'd lose track of how many times I'd played it.

  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger Yuяi said…

    That fucking sucks, Robbie. I am sure you will get snapped up quick though. Still sucks to have that happen, though.

    You are spot on about "Love Etc" heralding the new direction/sound for PSB. It takes a bit to get on-board with the new sound, but I'm loving it now.

  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Jump! said…

    Robbie, wishing you all the best in your job search-that's really a bummer. I know that your talent and good looks will help you nab something really quickly :).

    As for the new Pet Shop Boys single I have to say I think its a great song but sounds more like a B-side. I believe PSB are just writing to amuse themselves these days so concerns over chart placing have long faded away. As a result we're getting some very different but still quality tunes from them.

  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    I think you already know my sentiments on this shite news, so I will make you an offer that I am looking for a nude houseboy to clean the wood floors. Are you up to the task?

  • At 11:23 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    Chart Rigger has the best readers in the world!

    Thanks so much for the support.

    I picked up my computer today in Pasadena, where it had been for the past two weeks getting repaired. Couldn't get "Love etc." out of my head!

  • At 1:23 AM, Anonymous RadioCremeBrulee said…

    Robbie. Hang in there. Things have a way of working out. The job thing will materialize soon enough. I'm on edge here too.

    Hate to say this but I am a bit disappointed by the clip of "Love Etc". Considering the hype it's been getting, I don't think it lives up to it. "Very", to me, was not a PSB highlight in the way their earlier material was. The only songs in recent years that hold a candle to their 80s heyday are "London (Genuine Piano Mix)" and "I'm with stupid" (total return to form!!!). Anyway, keep the news flowing.

  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Miss Pathos said…

    So sorry to hear you've lost your job as I really, really love your blog- here, have a psychic hug. *hugs*
    If I had any money, I would hire you in an instant!! You could just follow me around and make witty remarks... or marry me.

  • At 11:12 PM, Anonymous PopMuse said…

    sorry about the job - that blows.

  • At 12:43 AM, Anonymous annie said…

    Well, you're not the only one without a job. I'm trying to find work too. Just like thousands of others. It really suck that's for sure. I hope you get something soon.

  • At 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This depression is going to get a lot worse for most of us. Millions will go cold and hungry. It didn't have to be this way. Greed ruins everything. Its true. Ask any professor of economics.

    "As mass production has to be accompanied by mass consumption; mass consumption, in turn, implies a distribution of wealth -- not of existing wealth, but of wealth as it is currently produced -- to provide men with buying power equal to the amount of goods and services offered by the nation's economic machinery. Instead of achieving that kind of distribution, a giant suction pump had by 1929-30 drawn into a few hands an increasing portion of currently produced wealth. This served them as capital accumulations. But by taking purchasing power out of the hands of mass consumers, the savers denied to themselves the kind of effective demand for their products that would justify a reinvestment of their capital accumulations in new plants. In consequence, as in a poker game where the chips were concentrated in fewer and fewer hands, the other fellows could stay in the game only by borrowing. When their credit ran out, the game stopped."

    Marriner Eccles, FDR's Chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank - 1959

    In other words, the first Great Depression was caused by greed. The rich couldn't settle for reasonable pay. They had to have more and more and more. That caused a shift in buying power from the majority to the rich. When the majority lost their buying power, they lost their ability to support the economy. Einstein said basically the same thing in 1949.

    Its even worse now. Ordinary people havn't only lost their relative buying power. They have also lost their savings, home values, pensions, and benefits. Meanwhile, the rich have become super incredibly rich. The richest 500 Americans are worth about 2 trillion dollars. More than the bottom 40% of American housholds combined. The richest 1 percent are worth about 18 trillion dollars. More than the bottom 98% of American households combined. Thats just insane. I don't care how much work for humanity the rich claim to do. Its nothing but a cover for their own greed. We don't need anymore rich people to create jobs or make donations for charity. We need them to get reasonable about how much money and assets they keep for themselves.

    Don't believe their excuse about paying more income taxes. They don't pay enough. For every tax the rich pay, they get an obscene profit, bailout, contract, or kickback from our government to cover it. We had a progressive tax system that worked for over 40 years after the first Great Depression. It prevented too much wealth from being concentrated. In 1976, the middle 80% owned about 2/3 of America's total wealth. Reagan lowered taxes for the rich. Bush lowered them again. Now, the richest 5% own about 2/3 of America's total wealth. The lower 95% own about 1/3. America's wealth has been transfered from poor to rich again. Now, we have another depression.

    Don't believe it when the rich claim to be getting poorer. Property values have gone down for everyone. Thats because of the concentration of wealth and income. When the economy slows down, property values tank. So when rich people complain about lower net worth, its a trick. They still have the same buying power on average.

    Too much wealth has already been taken away from the majority and concentrated into the private vaults of rich people. The same ones on TV telling us how much they want to help the world. Its a big lie. Just another way to promote their own names. Rich people don't want to help the world. They want to own it.

    Now, the economy is ruined. Obama can't fix it because the rich won't let him. There will be no bailout for the people because the rich won't let it happen. They always want more. The same thing has been happening in other economies around the world. The world's rich have been getting richer. Now, we have a global recession. Its going to get a lot worse. It didn't have to be this way. Greed ruins everything.

    Please copy and spread the word.

  • At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pretty effective data, thank you for this post.
    superb 7 | do not forget 3 | superb 5 good link | nice 9 | nice 9 superb 6 | do not forget link


Post a Comment

<< Home