dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

In Case You Were Mildly Curious About The Erasure Box Set (Yeah, It's Worth It)

Finally got around to picking up Erasure's Total Pop!: Deluxe Box—40 Hits today. Nice pictures in the extremely lengthy booklet inside, though the text inside never really manages to sum up the experience of growing up with Erasure as a large chunk of your formative teenage-years soundtrack.

How could it?
Disc two is the real winner, because, well, most of us already have or had the first Pop! at some point, no? The remastering is super, by the way.

I think if I were held at gunpoint given the option to choose only 10 singles off this collection to be able to ever hear again, they'd be:

1. "Ship Of Fools"
2. "Stop!"
3. "You Surround Me"
4. "Chorus"
5. "Am I Right?"
6. "Always"
7. "I Love Saturday'
8. "Stay With Me"
9. "Fingers & Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day)"
10. "In My Arms"

Wow, that was, like, Sophie's Choice painful! Which would you pick?

I haven't dived into the "Erasure At The BBC 1986 - 2005" DVD included, with all the Top Of The Pops, etc. performances, but am doing so tonight. I also wish great album tracks like "Home" off Chorus and "Miracle" from I Say, I Say, I Say were on here. But "Miracle" is on the DVD, from a May '94 appearance on Later With Jools Holland!

Finale note: Hearing "I Love Saturday" and "Stay With Me" fully remastered, on great speakers, will blow you away. Trust me.

Also, if you haven't yet read last week's Throwback post, centered in part around Erasure's "Always," do so now!

Couple other things:
* New Towleroad post is up.
* Daily Beast writeup of Pet Shop Boys' Yes is up.
* Follow my ass on Twitter. Pinch it if you want.



  • At 12:55 AM, Blogger Dan said…

    Probably my favorite Erasure song of all time is "Drama!" I just never seem to get tired of it.

  • At 12:55 AM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    So hard to choose ten, but yours are pretty much mine. I'd swap out In My Arms & Stay With Me for Sometimes & Chains of Love. And then I'd lament the loss of A Little Respect. And Breath of Life. And Rain, and Run to the Sun. Argh!

    That packaging looks delightful.

  • At 1:47 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    The box set is brillo isn't it? I actually saw someone buying it in HMV yesterday so was extra pleased. It was the last (only?) one! Hmmm, top ten singles? In no particular order - Drama / Stop / Always / A Little Respect / Breathe / Stay With Me / You Surround Me / Am I Right / Sometimes / Fingers and Thumbs

  • At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Fernando said…

    Don't forget "Don't say your love is killing me"...

    I wonder if Belvedere Kane's "Never Felt As Good" counts as an Erasure single. Nothing to do with them, but so soundalike...

    BTW, are you the same Robbie that used to populate the old Dance Pop group (whatever it was called) with great pop messages? It's been a long time!

  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Fernando, indeed...one and the same! I always thought that Belvedere Kane song sounded more like PSB "I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing."

    Paul & Dan, really..."Drama!"? I found that to be a rather lackluster lead single following the great Innocents and Crackers International.

    Moog, the packaging's a winner. Playing the CDs again now...in my car! Well, in about three minz!

  • At 1:23 PM, Blogger Brad said…

    I'm pretty much with you on the list, but I'm in agreement with Moogaboo. But, it's very hard, like you say. The box set is delish. I pre-ordered from Amazon and had it in my paws on release Tuesday. I was disappointed to realize the new remixes were not part of the box set. Major oversight. It's still only listed as an import on Amazon for $12, but I will probably not wait for it. The handful of the reviews for the remixes are not very kind, but I don't really give a fuck. I find remix taste varies greatly, plus I'm a completist when it comes to Andy & Vince. Plus it has a lot of my favorite on it. "Always, I want to be with you..."

  • At 5:54 AM, Blogger Daft Monk said…

    Robbie, I know what you mean about it being painful to bring in a top 10 with Erasure which is why it has been so difficult to watch them lose the plot over the past decade. Here is my list.

  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Brad, yeah, I'm not as into remixes, but I do feel that the live CD was kind of pointless. They could easily have had two DVDs in there, or, as you say, the remixes.

    DM, interesting analysis on your post. Personally, I really like I Say, I Say, I Say, and Cowboy is okay. Some of the others, though, are pretty dire.

    To this day I still haven't bought Loveboat...and I have all their other studio albums.


Post a Comment

<< Home