dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Sunday, April 05, 2009

La Roux, Metro Station And Lady GaGa Lead An Electro-fying U.K. Top 10

Androgynous synthette Elly Jackson and her duo La Roux jump into the Top 10 of the U.K. singles chart this week, after two weeks stuck at #11. At #7, "In For The Kill" rounds out the electro shock of several other singles in the upper portion of the chart—including Lady GaGa's "Poker Face" at #1 for a third week, and Metro Station's "Shake It" at #6 (a #10 hit here in the States last summer, and one of Chart Rigger's Best Of 2008).

As mentioned last weekend, La Roux are doing a series of club dates in North America this week ahead of the release of their "Quicksand/In For The Kill" EP on Cherry Tree, the same Interscope imprint that released The Feeling, Lady GaGa and Robyn's albums in the U.S. in recent years.

Speaking of Lady GaGa, "Poker Face" also topped the Billboard Hot 100 this week, making it the third time a single has simultaneously been #1 in both the U.S. and U.K. this year (the first two being Lady GaGa's "Just Dance" and Flo Rida's "Right Round").

Another groove worth mentioning is Just Jack's "Embers," which debuts at #17. XO has written a bit more poetically in recent weeks than I just did on this single.

And over on the Brit album chart, poor old Pet Shop Boys fall from #4 to #21. Yee-owch! However, it's a bang-slap week for Lady GaGa, who manages to have both the top single and album, with The Fame.

The U.K. Top 10:

1. "Poker Face" - Lady GaGa *3 weeks*
2. "Don't Upset The Rhythm (Go Baby Go)" - The Noisettes
3. "Jai Ho'" - Ar Rahman feat. Pussycat Dolls
4. "Right Round" - Flo Rida feat. Kesha
5. "Halo" - Beyonce
6. "Shake It" - Metro Station
7. "In For The Kill'" - La Roux
8. "Love Story'" - Taylor Swift
9. "Beautiful" - Akon feat. Kardinal Offishall & Colby O'Donis
10. "Dead And Gone" - T.I. feat. Justin Timberlake

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    La Roux's vocals are a bit... stinky? But I can see this growing on me. Currently I'm preferring Little Boots "Stuck on Repeat."

     
  • At 6:50 PM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    You know, as much as I love "Shake It" (and that's a lot), I'm not really invested in it doing well anywhere outside the U.S., maybe because I'm not invested in the group either. Good for them/it, though.

    La Roux's voice isn't working for me either (though I do love that single cover), but I do like Just Jack's new song. I can't believe it looks like the album is pushed back for months, though--I was counting on its release being imminent!

     
  • At 12:07 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    oh no! I can't believe that the JJ album has been pushed back :( How grossly disappointing! And yay for Lily Allen doing so well so early with Not Fair (unlike the beloved GA track which has yet to break the top 40, though to be fair not out for weeks yet!)

    I also like that "flop" singles are doing quite well still. Up All Night is still hanging around the top 40. Hurrah. And Up by the Saturdays (not a flop at all) is back in the top 50! It's all pop goodness.

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Only the third simultaneous #1? Ever or just this year?

     
  • At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really like "In for the Kill". I especially like the video. Reminds me of good vs evil skanks, like the SS's Stay vid.

     
  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger will said…

    Thanks for the reminder to listen to Metro Station's album. It's been sitting on my shelf for months now!

    Yes I agree with Moogaboo re: La Roux. :[

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Anonymous oPaul said…

    "Speaking of Lady GaGa..."

    And when is that not the case?

    Redundancy dear boy, redundancy.

     
  • At 2:06 AM, Blogger daavid said…

    That's a pleasant surprise, I am happy for La Roux... Coincidentally, I went to see them live on Saturday and I got to chat a little with Elly. I brought up the #11 topic, and she said they were 50 copies short of #10. I bet she didn't expect (neither did I) they would make the top 10 the next day!

    BTW she was very, very nice, and even though they were really tired, they took a couple of minutes to chat with us fans. And the show was very good... I guess with La Roux it's all about the voice: you either love it or hate it. In my case it's definitely the former.

     
  • At 3:04 PM, Anonymous oPaul said…

    Bitch be nasty.

    http://tinyurl.com/c56mvd

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Lady Gaga Tickets said…

    Has anyone purchased Lady Gaga Tickets from the website http://lady-gaga-tickets.doitbigtickets.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home