dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Monday, April 13, 2009

La Roux's Show In L.A. Last Night: The Guy On Keyboards Was Quite Foxy

Above is a pic of La Roux's Elly Jackson (yanked with gratitude from the La Roux Blog) on the set of the video shoot for "Bulletproof," the U.K. synth-pop act's next single. Currently the band are #4 on the U.K. singles chart with "In For The Kill."

"Bulletproof" is super poptastic, and I know this because I caught La Roux doing a short set at The Roxy here in L.A. last night. What made the gig all the more enjoyable was scruffy-cute "Mikey" on keyboards. (Strangely, the official other half of La Roux, Ben Langmaid, was nowhere to be seen.)

Mikey's in all black on the far left in this pic also swiped from the groovy La Roux Blog:

Based on songs played last night like "Colourless Colour," "I'm Not Your Toy," "Fascination" and "Tigerlily," La Roux's Yaz(oo)-inspired album is gonna be heavily rotating in the car D'luv this summer, upon its June release.

Here's a clip of "Quicksand" from last night's show:



At the end of the set, Elly said they'd be back in the States in July.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger Yuяi said…

    Of course you'll wait until it's officially released. Sure you will.

    Should be good. I'm looking forward to it.

     
  • At 11:25 PM, Blogger daavid said…

    It's all very confusing. At first I thought "Mikey" was Ben, and felt a bit bad for him since all the attention was set on Elly. Why is Ben not touring is a mystery...although let's face it, the backing track is pretty much all prerecorded and sequenced; I don't think Mikey does very much apart from looking cool.

     
  • At 1:20 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    but aren't you sad you didn't get lily allen with her on her tour as Angleterre did?!

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can't understand how anyone can stand listening to La Roux. She CAN NOT sing. Her voice is NAUSEATING. Putrid, high-pitched, airy, depthless, shrill whinnying. I'd rather pour liquid nitrogen in my ears than listen to La Roux. I'd rather imitate that ridiculous hairstyle than listen to La Roux. There is so much more to British pop music than this talentless ginger rat and her brain-washed indie idolaters. This sort of music is comparable in its effect to a double lobotomy! I would rather listen to ANYTHING, even Leona Fucking Lewis, than this insipid insult to music. Enjoy that soulless, over-crowded bandwagon you’re riding!

     
  • At 3:06 PM, Anonymous shanaynay lachild said…

    wait, da singer is a WOMAN? christ-child, i needs a drank!

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Blogger daavid said…

    Wow, this woman really is polarizing people. I know her voice is unusual but I honestly don't see what's so "horrible", "painful" and "grating" about it. It's not a classically trained voice for sure, but neither are (or should be) many other good voices in pop. Oddly I find Elly's voice pleasant and even soothing. I don't think it's amazing, but I certainly don't think it's bad. It works for me.

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger will said…

    no offence to PopJustice et al fine bloggers, but what in the world is the big deal with La Roux? Their songs would be lovely as Karaoke versions... better yet, instrumentals.

     
  • At 12:58 AM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    La Roux looks kind of like a less-glam Lypsinka.

    I don't really fancy her voice, but I'll give them a few more listens before I decide it's not for me. The music itself is good.

     
  • At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Destiny said…

    La Roux is very different, which most people are afraid of. Just because she doesn't follow everyone else's footsteps doesn't mean she is a bad artist. I think she is beautiful and is very talented. There is something amazing about her voice. If you don't like her, you don't have to trash her on the internet. It's not like it is hurting her feelings,or her income. She can be successful with or without your support. At least she is actually doing something with her life instead of sitting on her ass doing nothing.
    GO LA ROUX!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home