dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Coldplay Now Accused Of Plagiarism By Cat Stevens

This is getting a bit ridiculous. Cat Stevens, who now goes by Yusuf Islam, is the latest to accuse Coldplay of stealing from his song ("Foreigner Suite") to compose their own hit "Viva La Vida."

Yusuf isn't suing the band, however, like Joe Satriani is, over the alleged borrowing from his "If I Could Fly" Coldplay did for "Viva La Vida."

Here are the two accusers' songs pitted against Coldplay's tune:



The Satriani I can kind of so, though there's always the arguement that there are so many notes out there to string together. It's really only the one bit that sounds similar.

But what I want to know is why no one has picked up on my own theory from exactly one year ago this week that "Viva La Vida" completely sounds like French pop diva Alizee's "I'm Fed Up"?

If you need another reminder of what that one sounds like...

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger daavid said…

    The Satriani solo matches melodically but is very different otherwise really. And yeah totally, if anything, the song Coldplay is ripping off is "J'en ai marre".

     
  • At 4:18 PM, Blogger Cristián said…

    I always stood 100% on your Alizée comparison from moment zero you posted about it.
    And I still do. The resemblance remains unavoidable to me.

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger Yuяi said…

    Totally agree on Alizee. If they've ripped anyone off, it's her. Just played it and both my kids said "you like Coldplay?" .. LOL, they so know I don't !

     
  • At 7:57 AM, Blogger Phil said…

    Well, old Yusef is a homophobic old tart who thinks gayers should have their peens chopped off. FACT! (It's only because he wants to dip his peen in the chocolate fountain but is too scared to admit it). Anything that raving loon says I REALLY sit up and take notice of.

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger Mike said…

    I can't believe anyone would actually want to claim responsibility for the vile lump of shit otherwise known as "Viva La Vida"!

     
  • At 2:50 PM, Anonymous oPaul said…

    As thrilled as I was when all this talk of plagiarism against Coldplay started, I hate to admit that there's probably no case here.


    I found an incredible post a while back that points out that nobody can really claim originality on this one.

    Seriously, these people are like the CSI of music:


    http://tiny.cc/rNDQS

     
  • At 3:04 PM, Anonymous oPaul said…

    I don't think my link works. Try this BIG one.


    http://theopenend.com/2009/01/31/coldplay-vs-joe-satriani-who-owns-the-descending-melody/

     
  • At 1:49 AM, Blogger Jorge Correa said…

    I think both has copied the idea from the New Order's song: Bizarre Love Triangle

     
  • At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Shaun said…

    Goodness, there's so much effective info above!
    cheapest travel insurance | juegos de cuidar bebes gratis | Juegos De Terror

     

Post a Comment

<< Home